Help picking out a new keyboard

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Abraxis, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Looking for one to use at work. The cheap one that came with the computer has a horrible feel, too light and it's too big. All I really need is regular keys, num pad and function keys, no shortcuts. I really haven't liked a keyboard's feel since a Gateway one I had in '98. I prefer a feel like a laptop, not the super soft sluggish keys like on most I've tried.

-Wired is fine
    -Key feel is important, short stroke, laptop feel would be ideal (scissor-style?)
    -small, but regular key size.
    -USB hub would be great, but not necessary
    -<$50

Here's what I've found so far, just 2:

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000243DNA/qid=1121569154/br=1-8/ref=br_lf_pc_8//103-0063868-6074215?v=glance&s=pc&n=172492

------------------------------------

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002ICGES/qid=1121571553/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8__i1_xgl23/103-0063868-6074215?v=glance&s=electronics&n=541966

A little cheap, might not be real sturdy. Does have USB ports.

Any suggestions? Opinions on these 2?
    Neither is here locally so I can't check them out.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

this is my new best friend... I suggest you try it:

[​IMG]

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Oh hell yeah. :cool:

What's the brand, cost, where'd you get it? I love that look, just the basics. How do the keys feel? I don't want long strokes.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

awsome feel. Was $26. www.apple.com

5. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I don't think Mac stuff won't do me much good.
    Need one in black or gray, preferably.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rolleyes: you loved it until you heard apple. :rolleyes:

thats just brandism :rofl:

7. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Still like the design, but it wouldn't be compatible would it? I don't know anything about all that. Looked to see if they had black, but didn't see it. Great price. Didn't see mention of the type of key action, which is important. Right now I'm liking that kinsington. Small, black and laptop style key action.

8. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

How could someone look at that and not think Apple?

:confused:

Yea, it would be compatible...Mac uses USB for their keyboards.

Also, I just got a Saitek Eclipse and I love it so far, it's so freaking comfortable.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16823175103

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that keyboard is ON my windows machine. Works great. The open-apple key is the windows key.

10. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I want a keyboard with no type. :wiggle:

11. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I saw that one. :cool:

Love it, but it's a little long for the space I have. Read some great reviews, might get that one for at home. How's the key feel? My Logitech here at home has really long key travel that I can't stand. It's wireless though, which is nice.

12. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Didn't realize USB was the same on Mac's. If that one was black, I'd be ordering right now. It's wider than the kensington, but it would be worth it.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

14. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

http://www.pckeyboard.com/
    http://www.clickykeyboards.com/

Do yourself a favour and get yourself a *real* keyboard! On the second link, there's "space saver" keyboards without a numpad, and I'm sure you can get one with shorter keystrokes. First link should have what you're looking for too.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

are you truely as dumb as your posts let off to be? The keyboards you posted do not meet his criteria at all. And who wants a $150 21-year-old keyboard, anyway?

16. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I...don't think so. I'll leave that to movies like Hackers. ;)

17. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Yeah, a mortgage broker without a number pad would quickly be out on a water tower popping off pedestrians. That would make me nuts.
    Those older style keyboards do look a lot like the old Gateway one I had, might have been made by them. Who knows. Love the feel of those keys, but it's not what I'm looking for.
    Matter of fact, I still have that one. I didn't remember how HUGE that thing is. :rofl:

18. Missile Command Kid

Word of advice, dumbass: next time you flame somebody about being dumb, perhaps you'd care to run your post through a spell checker?

Abraxis: from the first link, maybe this will work: http://store.yahoo.com/pckeyboards/valueplus.html Made by the same company so build quality is good, not a clicky keyboard, $7 USD. No USB hub, but in-between huge and tiny.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, because perfect spelling is more important than knowing what you're talking about.... So I'll leave the spelling to you, and I'll just know what I'm doing :rofl:

Please go READ the thread. He doesn't want that shit.

20. Missile Command Kid

It must be nice to believe that you're god of your little domain, hmm? You apparently sell computers for a living, which means that your startlingly-high intellect obviously overshadows anybody else who would deign to post in this forum. In fact, what's the purpose of anybody else posting? We should all just post questions and let you answer them all, because obviously nobody is as intelligent nor as gifted at you when it comes to solving computer problems. Why don't we just rename the entire thread from "Computers and Programming" to "Ask Jollyogre!" It would solve the problem of *other* people trying to help without being flamed or insulted becuase The Lord God Almighty jollyogre knows more than us, and how dare we contract anything that he has to say?

Seriously, you fix computers for a living. Big deal! You're also a blowhard who gets his jollies from insulting other people and shoving your opinion down other people's throats. I know I'm not the only person here who doesn't care about your bloody opinion. So now I've said my piece. Feel free to insult my intelligence or apparent lack of god-like computer knowledge or whatnot; to make my offtopic experience a little more pleasant, I'm simply going to put you on ignore. I don't care whether your computer knowledge is greater than anybody else here; I'd prefer to read somebody's opinions who knows how to be polite rather than your "advice." Have a wonderful life.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

READ the thread. Do it. I dare you. READ it. The poster wants a SMALL, BLACK, keyboard with a SHORT keystroke. You posted LARGE, WHITE, and LONG keystrokes.

22. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I like the logitech elite usb keyboard, it is slightly large, but it quiet, has good key feel, and even after a ton of typing in the 3 or so years ive had it, i have yet to have a problem with it.

but of course, i use most of the F/hotkeys they put on the keyboard, and the volume dial is great (as well as the five media controller keys)

23. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I've got a Logitech cordless elite duo set at home. I really like the volume control on it, but I never use the other features. The key stroke on mine is really, really, long and mushy. There's no "pop" feel to it. It's like shifting in a car but you can't tell if you're in gear or not due to a mushy shifter. Took me a while to get used to typing on it, letters didn't always show up.
    However, wireless makes up for a lot, especially with my desk. I'm not seeing many wireless that look good enough to replace it yet, but I might give that Saitek a shot (at home), later.

24. StPatty33

StPatty33 New Member

I've got the Logitech MX Duo wireless keyboard/mouse. They're the best things in the world... seriously. Don't really match your criteria as they have many things you wouldn't use probably (such as the volume dial etc) but man... I never have any problems with connection--I don't think I could go back to wired after using these for almost a year.

25. StPatty33

StPatty33 New Member

Also Saitek is a cheap-ass brand, imho. I worked at Best Buy for 4 years and these things just fall apart. *shrugs*