Help Picking new Streetbike...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ragnarok, Dec 31, 2005.

1. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

My 2001 F4i died a few days ago and i'm looking for something to replace it... I really liked my F4i and it perfectly fit my style of riding (80% local commuting, 15% canyons, 5% track duty)... it was very comfortable and easy to ride at the limits and basically it was the perfect bike...

ive been looking around and found a good deal on a 2003 Yamaha R6 and a 2004 Suzuki R600... i dont want the newer F4i because i hate the banana seat and also just looking for something new and different but i also domt want something too "extreme" cause like i said befire its gonna be an 80% commuter.

I sat on some newer R6's and they have very good ergonomics, i esp like the clips on on top. However, I read the review on the 04 suzuki's and they praise the cushy seat and the large windshield... also from the dynos it seems the gixxer has a more meaty midrange while the R6 is more peaky... so im thinking maybe i should pick the gixxer....

i sat on the 600RR's and i dont think i will be able to tolerate the racy posture so its a tossup between the 03 R6 and the 04 R600... any insights?

2. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

My 05 R6 has no problem getting me through traffic....seems to have enough
    mid range grunt to roll along in traffic ok. It's slightly more powerful than the
    03/04 but not by any consequential amount.

I've ridden for hours at a time in traffic that fluctuates 30-80 and back again
    without too much aggravation or fatique. Not saying the R6 is the end all be
    all....but I find it does alright on a day to day basis.

Plus the noise it makes once you get out of traffic :)

3. Felix

Felix Its good to be me.

I think you will have a better time on the R6. You kinda sit more in inside the Gixxer, plus the R6 has a way better seat IMO. I have an RR and you get kinda stiff on the long rides.

4. LeeNetworX

LeeNetworX New Member

What do you mean by your "F4i died"?

Have you sat on both of the bikes? Since you do so much commuting, I would think comfort and ergonomics would be more of a factor than mid-range performance. Just my $.02. :dunno:

5. Jerm

Jerm I

How the hell did you kill your F4i?

6. rx7racer11

rx7racer11 Own The Racetrack

I owned a 600rr and you get over the riding position in about a week or two. the kick ass, I am 6' and bout 200 puonds so i stiffened up the suspension and it was awesome. i used it prodominately for commuting also and once i dropped the front sprocket two teeth it was great around town and even better in the twisties

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Its possible, I killed a 99 F4 in 26k miles :hsd:

8. z31maniac

z31maniac *insert witty remark*

R6 > *

Don't worry about the dyno charts. The bike has plenty of pull everywhere, and the stock fuelling is so good, it'll never cross your mind.