GUN Help picking .22 rifle

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by amill94, Oct 11, 2007.

1. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

A friend of mine recently picked up a Savage Mark II-FV rifle. He got it new for $210. It is synthetic, with the heavy target barrel, accutriger and scope mounts. He picked up a cheaper 3-9x40 bushnell scope for it aswell. We played around and sighted it in and it's really fun to shoot. I was thinking about getting one also since ammo is cheap. I'd like to stick to bolt action incase I ever use it for small game hunting.

Is this savage a good choice? I was looking at ruger 10/22's and know they are the most customizable 22 you can get. However, is there a decent aftermarket for the savage? I also couldn't seem to find a bolt action ruger locally. What else should I consider if anything?

Thanks.

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Savages are nice, I only sold mine because I wanted .22LR instead of .17HMR

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The marlin 981t has a good reputation for being quite accurate out of the box, but probably not much of an aftermarket if you want custom stocks, spinners, and neon.

4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

The only thing I would probably upgrade is the stock from synthetic to wood at some point mabye...other than that...mabye it'd be cool to upgrade the trigger to a lighter pull.... :dunno:

I forgot to add I looked a marlin, however it wasn't the 981. It was bolt action but it was a 5 or 6 round magazine and it had the heavy target barrel which I like the look of vs the standard barrel.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

There are some guys that have modified a walnut stock for another marlin to fit the 981t. They do make a detachable magazine fed bolt action but I like the tube fed instead. You can load it with shorts, cb's, longs, whatever you have. Usually its a bit more of a pain feeding shorts from a box mag.

The other option to consider is the cz 452 line, probably the trainer model. They have an excellent reputation but cost a bit more. If your walmart still has guns though they can get you one for a good price.

6. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My room mate has a Ruger 10/22. Fun gun to shoot.