help pick a good college car please?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Sieg, May 30, 2005.

1. Sieg

Sieg ★★Major League Door Kicker★★

I recently just graduated highschool and I am needing a car for college travel. First off, let me tell you a few things. I currently have $3000 to purchase a vehical. I live about 20 miles from my college, but I am living at home. I need a car that is reliable and good on gas. I would really like a 2 door, and I plan on using the left over to put a sound system in.

Cars I have looked at:
    1991 Toyota Celica GT - 154,000 miles (Is it like my toyota truck that ran untill 350,000 miles, or am I walking into a money pit?) $1999
    1995 Saturn SC2 - 100,000 miles. 4 cyl. $2199 (I heard they are actually really good cars.)
    1993 Jeep Wrangler -90,000 miles, 6cyl 4X4 $2800 (My reasoning for looking at this, is that I currently live on a 200 ACRE cattle farm. It would come in handy outside of driving.)
    1991 Honda Prelude - No stated mileage, waiting to meet with them. (I just kinda like this generation.)

Any suggestions for different cars? I am really stuck mainly between the Celica and the Jeep... I love the Celica because, i guess you would call it, a hatch back.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

everything except the saturn you listed is a decent car. That style jeep had tcase issues, if I recall correctly. If you don't absolutely need the 4x4, I'd knock it off the list.

Why not another toyota truck? The 2re was gutless, but reliable, and decent on gas.

3. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

same situation your in

my list:

mitsubishi starion
    90-94 protege with jap 323 turbo motor
    94 jeep gran cherokke
    or some small truck.
    donno

4. Nismotic

Nismotic Swat came into my house...disrespected my family..

Out of those choices, i'd def go with the toyota. Those things will last forever with good maintenance.

Otherwise, look for an accord or camry. As family-ish as it sounds, its better to get a dependable ride than anything else.

save the money you set aside for the system for maintenance and repairs down the road

5. Yes have some!

Yes have some! Active Member

6. Nismotic

Nismotic Swat came into my house...disrespected my family..

7. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

is the celica an all trac with the 3sgte that = the win [​IMG]

8. R K e 1 C A

R K e 1 C A New Member

9. kha

kha New Member

Get a real hatchback. 92-00 civic. Cheap, reliable, good-looking, (has potential to become fast), but easy as hell to steal. Autolocks, alarms, kill switchs would be a good idea.

10. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Some old Buick that a granny can't drive anymore.

When my grandfather died in 2002, we ended up selling his old 87 Oldsmobile for like $1000 with a grand total of 44,000 miles on it. Ran flawlessly and not a thing wrong with it. Even had all the dealer service records in the log book.

11. chizzle

chizzle New Member

Everything but the saturn looks really good. I don't think u can go wrong with the toyota, honda or jeep...albeit the former two are probably more reliable.

12. BlMMERGUY

BlMMERGUY New Member

240sx, n'a 300zx, eclipse, civic, e30, enzo? no saturn

13. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Celica All-Tracs are kickass cars... when they aren't in the shop for some reason or another, which is less often than most people would prefer :o

FWD Celicas from that era are a good choice for a driver... the 2.2L 5S-FE in them isn't the most exiciting engine in the world, but it is bulletproof reliable. Same engine as the older 4-cylinder Camrys.

Civic hatchbacks and Integras are good cars but get stolen and wrecked a lot (especially stolen), so insurance on them is usually ridiculous.

You might consider an early model (89-90) 240SX, cheap and very solid - moreso than the DOHC models, from my experience - but it can be a challenge to find one that isn't ragged out.

Older Mazda Proteges are also great cars for the money. Tight chassis, good handling, 4 door convenience.