Help out with RX8 specs

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Toxicity, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

I've had my mind on buying a new car, and am rpetty itnerested in the RX8. I've been trying to find performance specs on the car, 0-60, 0-100, and quarter mile times, but cant seem to come across any. Can ya guys help me out? Thnx

2. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

0-60 in 5.9, 14.5@ 96mph according to some mags. The RX-8 isnt really a drag car and really lacks low end torque. However, the RX-8 handles very well and on some tracks has tied the times of a 350Z and M3. But ya, its not the fastest thing in the world but I still love mine. There are turbo's out there for the RX-8 now if you really want a quicker car in the 1/4 mile. Greddy has a kit for $3000 shipped which can land you 273rwhp from what I have seen tuned, untuned is about 250rwhp. There is also the SFR/SSR kit which can land 340rwhp-400+rwhp but it is pretty pricey. If you are gonna keep it stock just keep the rpms high. :)

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

rx8 has no torque. get a 350z

4. touya

touya New Member

350z is overrated. The Rx8 will handle much better than the Z with simular setups IMHO. Z is nice but its overpriced for what you get. The 8 is a fun drive, lots of curb appeal just looking at it, and its a Wankel so you get the fun High Revving differance over a piston engine. If you have never drove a rotary atleast test drive a few. My Rx7 is by far the funnest car I have ever had, and i've been through a lot. Since the 8 is new the aftermarket for it isn't strong yet. From what i hear, the aussies get aslick turbo 8, and if youwait there are rumors that the turbo 7 is back in 06. :)

Oh and Edit: a rx8 with no torque? You must have never driven one, the 13b "renesis" Wankel Rotary has lots of mad ass torque, specialy down low. N/A FC3s 91 7 has hella low end and not as much HP . :bigthumb:

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

go drive a z and then we'll talk about torque...

6. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

Z and Rx8 arent exactly in the same price range, haha, its more of a decision between that and a 'stang...

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

yea, i've heard that too... guess we'll have to wait and see. i know they were hella skeptical about bringing it back.. cuz it did have alot of problems in its day.

8. Captain Amazing

Captain Amazing OT Supporter

Torque isnt everything, look at the Lotus Elise with only 133tq. It is still fast enough for those guys who live their life a 1/4 mile at a time... Personally, I think autocrossing is more fun and the 8 can hang with a 350Z on the twisties and only fall back a tad on the straights.

9. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

They're in the exact same price range unless you're looking at the 197hp auto version. MSRP $27,435 for the Mazda w/a 6spd and $32,260 for the Shinka while the Z starts at $28,650 with pretty much everything the 8 has short of the 18's.

If you want a decently fast car, just get the Mustang. Buying a turbo on a brand new car is just asking for trouble. You'll instantly void your warranty and rotaries can be finicky when boosted. That's not to mention the horrible mileage you already get.

If you don't have the money for a Z...you don't have the money for a turbo. $3000 is for the kit only, you're not counting installation and any other issues like clutch etc.

273whp isn't a hell of a lot out of a turbo on a rotary. A Z puts down ~230whp to start w/ and a new Mustang will do a bit more than that. Both can get past 270whp for less than 3k w/ more room to spare.

If you're in love w/ the RX-8...buy it. People have online pissing contests all the time and the 8 will lose most of the time. In the end though, you're the one that has to drive it.