help or advise on getting A+ certs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Supreme Allah, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Supreme Allah

Supreme Allah The terrorists won.

first off here is my reason for wanting an A+ cert, so you understand ~

im looking to move up in my current position. i basically need something quick and easy to pad my resume. i dont want to start a career in the tech sector, this job is something im doing to make decent money while i go to school. the job would involve the same thing i do now on a daily basis, just with more pay in a new dept.

now i picked up a book on A+ certification ("faster, smarter A+ certification") and quite frankly this shit is like a foreign language. a lot of the stuff is basic but some stuff just seems mindbogglingly arbitrary. the OS part is just :ugh:

ive seen some braindumps and the questions are truly all over the place.

how could i get an A+ cert quickly and easily. im willing to pay for a class. quite frankly the amount of money i would be getting as a raise makes it worth it - about 300 more bux a week. but classes are hard to find even in the North VA area, at least within the time frame im looking at. it needs to be fast. like within 2 months.

is reading the book and memorizing the monotanous stuff really the best way? any advise appreciated.

2. Stev

Stev Active Member

best thing u can do is pick up a book that is made for dummies, read it once and skim it a 2nd time. Go online and take some mock-tests and get a feel for the questions. A+ wasnt sh!t for me, but ive been workin in that field for a while. The mock test's give u a good idea where u stand.

3. melybaby12

melybaby12 Guest

I just took mine last tuesday. The tests covered pretty specific stuff so make sure you know your shit. I'd say it was about 75 to 80% networking oriented (could be different for you though). I would suggest studying and reading as much as you can on the internet. Check out cramsession.com, thats where i got some of my study material and i passed em.

4. majpayne1

majpayne1 New Member

I passed mine last month....if you are going to take it in two parts you need to hurry up and have it done by June 30 (they are changin the way it is done after tht) i took some online training and mixed that with an "Exam Cram" book...no prob.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I got my A+ about 2 years ago and breezed through it.

Go to www.fravo.com. Buy their A+ harware and software study guides. They will cost you ~$25 for each. Each guide has about 400 test questions. If you buy them, they guarantee you to pass on your first try.

I bought these for my test and studied my butt off for about 2 weeks straight. By the time I got done studying with them, I had almost all of the questions and answers memorized. I went and took my test and I swear 90% of the questions on my study guide are what exactly appeared on my test.

Trust me, go with these guys for any study guides for any cert test and you will not be disappointed.

I've used them for my A+, Network+, MSCA, and I'm just finishing up my MCSE and then moving on to MCSE 2003. They beat the hell out of any other guides I have seen.

CM>

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Frankly, if it's a foreign language, maybe you shouldn't be going for an A+. Honestly you need to understand the stuff that you're reading in a book like that before you go for the certification; otherwise it's useless to you and to anyone else.

7. Chimpa Codigo

Chimpa Codigo Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Modulators

:confused: isn't that why you read a book, to understand the content? And he's going down the right path by reading the book before taking the cert...or maybe you missed that. Damn snobby teckies :(