Help on buy a laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cali2houston, Jun 4, 2004.

1. cali2houston

cali2houston New Member

So, I am planning to buy a laptop for my wife, for her school and so she can play DVD and music.

I got a couple of questions..

1) Do all laptops that have Intel Centrino M or AMDs Athlon XP-M processor have builtin wifi (802.11b/g) technology ? Cuz, I was looking at HP 4610 and it has Athlon XP-M 2500+ but no 802.11b or g !!!

2) Which is better, Compaq or HP ?

How are the other companys like Fujitsu or toshiba or acer ?

Thanx in advance for your input.

2. Stev

Stev Active Member

yes, but there are others, there are regular mobile P4's.. and Athlon64's are in the game now as well. Mobile processors are emerging in the desktop field cuz their multiplier's arent locked and require less power/are cooler.

compaq...HP...idk they say there is no different but i hear more and more people having good luck with HP and not so much with compaq.

Toshiba is tough on it's laptop game, few people have em at school and all looked pretty awesome to me, but im sure they paid a hell of a lot for it. I'll just stick with my Dell Latitude, and i would recommend it to anyone :).

GL.

3. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

No, some have builtin wifi, some don't.

Get a dell if you want something cheap, if you want something better get an IBM or an Apple.

Of course there might be certain specs that the school requres in a computer so check with them, ie at Cal Poly if we wanted to get on the school wifi network we has to have a specific brand of card.

4. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

IBM kicks ass. THey are a bit expensive but really nice.

Look at the ibm T and X series and if you want wait for the new intel centrinos that are coming out soon.

5. Brian

Brian New Member

my dad gots a dell 600m and its great and is real sleek and has a big enough screen 14.1 and like 1600x1200 resolution also i got a new toshiba s121 c2.8ghz with 512mb that was only 599 at circuit city like 2 weeks ago and i love it

i would get a deal if u got enoguh $ dont get ibm no need to spend extra to get same stuff

6. silversilvia

silversilvia OT Supporter

all the companies are pretty mucht he same dell, hp, compact, toshiba. they are made by another contract company in taiwan. pick something u like with the best equipment with the best warranty.

however if u have money to spare. apple, ibm, and sony are a little better than the rest.

i got an HP. my first one was a ZX series and it sucks, had to bring it back a week after i bought it cause it kept locking up. so i trade it for a ZD series (17 inch) and this one is awesome. however if i wasn't able to take it back to circuitcity to replace it and go through all the crap they would give me it would suck and i would have had a bad experience with HP.