Help, new computer keeps shutting off

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Homan, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

ASUS P5ND2-SLI ATX

P4 3.0ghz

I got a PCI express card with it and a gb of ram, i tried swapping out the video card with a old PCI card I had, I tried different sticks of ram in different slots, I tried different power supply (430w), I have unplugged all HDD and cdroms, it is still turning itself off after 30seconds-40seconds of booting up. I can get in the BIOS and it seems to see everything that is connected. Fans are up and running, any ideas on what could be wrong?

2. modspace

modspace New Member

does it still turn off if you leave it in the bios screen for 30 seconds or however long?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

thermal issues, perhaps?

Of does it shut off while booting windows? You DO need to reformat when you change major system hardware.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Thermal issues seem pretty likely. My own experience with the newer CPUs with the little square armor on top is that the edges of the armor are not always rounded properly, and that can make the heatsink not contact the CPU well enough to cool it properly.

I've swapped three motherboards into my current computer, with different chipsets no less, and I never needed to reformat.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

And several of your threads lead me to believe that you're not so knowledgable about such things.

different chipset == reformat. Can you do it w/o? usually. Is it a good idea? never.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The computer works fine.