HELP! New build keeps turning itself off after a few hours

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jago, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Jago

Jago It helps if you hit it.

Okay, it's my turn now. :rofl: Finished this build a week ago and ever since, it turns itself off after 3-12 hours of running. I monitor the temps and CPU/page file usage and everything is fine.

I thought it was the cheap PSU and bought a Thermaltake instead but it still does the same thing.

I ran the prime95 torture test and got the cpu temp from an idle 36 degrees to 51 degrees. And that's with arctic silver applied. :noes: It finished the first self-test fine and the machine never shutdown. Then I let memtest86 run 3 passes with no errors.

Any ideas? Maybe the motherboard? :dunno:

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Right click on my computer > left click on manage >

double left click on the event viewer folder to the left, until the tree below opens >

left click on application and look for reds and yellows >

then left click on system folder to the left, look for yellows and reds again. >

It can help if you right click on application or system and delete
    the logs to clear out the mess. Then wait until the next shutdown,
    and check to see what it tells you.
    .........................................................................................................................

Also, it's probably being shutdown because of an error, so do this:
    Right click on My Computer > properties > advanced > startup and recovery settings >
    Un-click automatically restart.

See if that keeps it from shutting down like that.

3. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

anything interesting in the Event Log? If Win is initiating shutdown, something might show up there. I'd also try removing everything except the bare minimum to start the system. If it stays up, add in one piece of hardware at a time until it's all there. Of course, if you bought a mobo with everything onboard, you're screwed...

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Every motherboard has an IC on it that has the (shitty) job of recalculating the address of every single memory access request that the CPU makes. (This is a necessary component in order to run more than one application at the same time.) It gets extremely hot, hot enough to burn me when I touched it the first time. I then bought a pack of cheap copper RAM heatsinks (the kind with fins on them) and a tube of Arctic Silver epoxy, and I went about attaching them to whatever hot things I found on my motherboard. You may want to do this as well.

Even if you don't want to glue heatsinks to your motherboard, the issue still remains that the CPU is the only part of your motherboard with adequate cooling (AND adequate temperature monitoring), and so there could be any number of components that are getting screaming-hot and you'd never know unless you touched them with your finger. Because of this, you pretty much need to crack the case and start inspecting your computer for hot spots that could be causing it to overheat and shut off.

5. Jago

I let it run all night. This morning it was still up before I left for work. When I came back, it's off. I check the Event Log and the only thing there is "The Event log service was stoppped" at 9:48 AM. That's it, no other clues. :hs:

I'll pop open the case and check for hot spots next before stripping it down bare and building it back up.

6. jmechy

jmechy Calmer then you are.

what mobo you running? I'm showing similar symptoms with a ASUS P5B-E SLI.

7. Jago

This is a secondary rig so it's a cheapo Foxconn P4M800P7MA-RS2 board with a Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8GHz.

8. deusexaethera

Leave it on all night again, but go into the BIOS screen first and let it sit there. Let's see whether WINDOWS is causing the shutdown, or whether the computer will shut down even when Windows isn't loaded.

9. Doc Brown

:cool:

10. Doc Brown

Did you ever try unchecking the auto shutoff box?

11. Jago

That's pretty smart. Trying it now. :bigthumb:

12. Jago

Yup, no luck. :hs:

13. Jago

I've let it sit in BIOS now for over 24 hours. No shutdown. :eek3:

I can't imagine what in Windows could be causing this. It's a clean install. :dunno:

14. deusexaethera

I dunno, but it's pretty obvious that something isn't working right. Reinstall again.

15. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Right-o. When the event log recorded that the Event Log Service had stopped, that means Windows shut down / shut the computer off. Otherwise you'd just get an even log entry on reboot "previous system shutdown was unexpected" or some such.

Good idea leaving it in the BIOS, deus :bigthumb:

Again, take out EVERYTHING YOU CAN (dvdrw, sound card, etc.) and just get the thing to boot with the bear minimum. If most stuff is onboard, try shutting it off (onboard LAN, sound, etc.).

16. Jago

Thanks again for all your help guys. It turns out the video card driver was causing the issue. :bigthumb:

17. Doc Brown

Damn. What make/model of video card?