Help needed with Windows XP installation.....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SBrooks1, Jan 17, 2005.

1. SBrooks1

SBrooks1 GOAT OT Supporter

Alright, I've got a new PC here at work and WinXP is being a bitch. :mad: I've got 2 hard drives: 1-40 GB & 1 200-GB. I want XP to be installed on the 40 GB (C: ) and the 200 GB drive (D: ) to be open for storage. Initially when I booted to the WinXP CD it wouldn't let me install XP on the 40 GB for some reason. It wouldn't give me the option to format it. So I installed XP to the 200GB drive. Once I was in XP, I formatted the 40GB drive with no problems. Then I booted to the XP CD again and installed XP to the 40GB drive. Now when I boot up it gives me the option to boot to either one of the XP installations. Both drives have XP installed on them but the 40GB is now D: and the 200GB is C:...........

Computer Management >> Storage >> Disk Management

Code:
    Volume Layout Type	 File System	 Status			 Capacity	 Free Space

C:	 Partition	Basic	NTFS	 Healthy (System)	 186.30GB	 183.29GB
    D:	 Partition	Basic	NTFS	 Heathly (Boot)	 37.26GB	 34.71GB
    When I boot to D: it won't allow me to format C: :mad:

What I need to do is have the 40GB be the C: drive and the 200GB to be the D: drive. How can I do this??

By the way this is on a Intel D865PERL motherboard and I'm using SATA150, if that helps any. :)

2. tsaxon13

tsaxon13 That guy

Is the 40 Gb drive set up as the Master drive?

3. johnson

johnson New Member

What do you mean it there wasnt an option to format with the XP CD?

4. tsaxon13

tsaxon13 That guy

on the actual hard drive itself there are jumber settings (a set of pins and a little plastic piece to connect two of the pins). As far as I know windows can only be installed on the Master drive. The settings should be printed on the label on the hard drive.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it installed the bootloader on the drive you wish to format, so you cannot format it.

When installing windows, it's usually best to leave it as the only drive installed. Not only does that prevent these incidents, but it also protects data on other drives from getting accidientially selected for format.