help, need an in dash cd player and i have no idea what i'm doing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rezin, Jan 25, 2005.

1. rezin

rezin Put it in the air with the chronic/ My lyrics like

i'm sick of using my portable cd player in my car

so, i need an in dash cd player that can play mp3 cd's and is $130 or less (preferrably including installation). is this possible?

also if i ordered one from say a crutchfield catalog how much it would it cost me to get it installed locally?

keep in mind i know absolutely nothing about car audio

thanks

2. rezin

3. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

what kind of car is it?

$130 would be a tough budget to fill for a decent unit, but you could probably get one for around $160-170.

Depending on the vehicle, installation is usually pretty easy if you have basic hand tools and a little motivation. But if you aren't interested in tackling it, any local shop could probably sell you a head unit and install it for you no problem.

As for the Aiwa, I know in the past they made "ok" stuff, but I've been out of the car audio loop for quite a while now.

4. rezin

it's a 91 crx, and i know that's a shitty budget but my aunt made a quick offer to pay that much so i could probably add some to it but not more than like $180 or $190 total

5. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

You could pick up an Alpine that plays MP3's for about $160ish from a shop, and usually, anything over $90 or so gets a free install. Depending on the shop of course.

6. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

CRX should be a fairly easy install if you are up to it... but like Stealth said, most places will install it for free (or just the harness price) if you buy it from them.

7. spooky

spooky OT Supporter

if you order from crutchfield, they send u diagrams and all the stuff you need to install it.

if you can connect wires together and screw and unscrew screws, you can put in a cd player.

8. StealthMode

:werd: It's very simple, just takes a little time and effort.

9. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

10. StealthMode

But, it's Sony! :ugh: :p

11. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

Yep, great deck. Personally I'd stick to Pioneer, but sonys are easier to install and more best-bang-for-the-buck.

12. StealthMode

How are they easier to install?

13. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

they aren't, they are the exact same, other guy doesn't know what he's talking about

14. StealthMode

Like I thought..

15. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Sarcasm, right? Same about the Pioneer as your deck of choice? :hs:

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

17. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

OK, based on my experiance, Sony decks are more user friendly, I prefer Pioneer and Eclipse over anything, but I figured he'd be happy with a Sony for now. And plus that deck I posted about has a lot of features for the price.

18. veonake

I guess I haven't heard many people ranking Pioneer up their with Eclipse. From what I have seen, the features on Sony decks aren't that useful. I don't think they have time alignment for instance. And, it seems the more processing that is added the worse it sounds. I had a Sony deck so I know. I turned almost all the extra features off.

19. StealthMode

For roughly the same price he could get an Alpine and have a way better deck ;)

20. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

Well it's a matter of opinion. I own an Eclipse deck and love it, prior to that I had a Pioneer for 2 years and it was probably the best deck i've owned other then that current Eclipse... I did own a bunch of decks, so I have some experiance. I owned decks from, JVC, Sony, Rockford, Alpine, Kenwood, and probably more.

21. veonake

Alright, that's fine. Btw, it's "experience", I can be somewhat of a spelling nazi, not attacking you. You're right, audio is definitely a very subjective field.

22. rezin

thanks for all the responses, i went to local shop that a lot of people i know go to and quite a few people have told me their installations are worth the money over best buy.

$45 for an install and this http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4039_149245002,00.html for $20 under the msrp. there was a an eclipse deck there (i forgot the number) but it was around $200 before installation and the optional remote and since i'm already over my planned budget i was thinking of just getting the pioneer when they get another shipment in.

also, i was talking to a guy there about speakers and he told me that in his car he just upgraded his front speakers, added a sub and disconnected his rear speakers and i had never heard of that. is that common? since i just found out today that i can't start school until the summer semester i'll have a little extra money in the next couple months and this seems like a good way to spend it

23. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

yea i am known to be a bad speller. :ugh: :o

24. veonake

Yes, it is common in a lot of cars that have custom SQ installs for music, not DVD. I removed the rear speakers in my car and am just running components up front. This gives optimal staging for nearly all music as most music is recoreded in 2 channels. Rear speakers are good if you plan on installing a DVD system, have rear passengers a lot (although no rear passenger has ever complained in my car about lack of sound), or are the type of person that likes the feeling of being immersed in sound. Personally, I like 2 channel and can still feel immersed in my music. Sub is definitely a good idea as your woofers are not meant to reproduce bass frequences as loudly as the music would optimally dictate. You will wonder why you didn't get a sub sooner.

25. StealthMode

I agree complately with you on the sub. I've tried out just the front comps with, and w/o rear fill, and I came to a happy medium with the rears turned down a little bit, but still loud enough to push a little more midbass (they are 6x9's) and my subs pound out the lows. Overall I am very happy with this setup, more so than just fronts, and subs only.

But like always, it all depends on the person, I know alot of you guys on here like to drop the rear speakers entirely, and thats fine for you. To each his own :)