help my laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by xinster, Sep 11, 2006.

1. xinster

xinster New Member

I've underclocked this little bitch to like 60% of what it used to be.

the geforce4 440 Go piece of shit is now 100MHZ core and 300mhz memory. Down from like, i dont know, but i turned it down alot.

I have cooling settings set on silent- instead of using fans, it just slows down everything once it reaches high temps, so it can never use its full power.

AND ITS STILL OVERHEATING. This is a toshiba satellite pentium 4 2.53 ghz piece of crap old shit.

I cant play worms fucking armageddon without it overheating and shutting off.

2. xinster

xinster New Member

additional notes on this travesty of a computer.

CPU usage right now is consistently 100%, even though my total mem usage isn't that high, 512mb ram.

im running winamp, worms armageddon, firefox, and trillian. It was at 100% even before firefox which is only at 23thousand k and worms is at 25 thousand k.1 svchost at 18 thousand k

explorer at 19463 k

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

First of all, it sounds like you have spyware. Scan that bitch with Ad-Aware immediately. If you can get your hands on Symantec Antivirus Corp. Edition, that also scans for spyware.

The memory usage is normalish. Which process is eating all of your CPU power? Post a screenshot of the Processes tab in Task Manager. Before you take the screenshot, go into Task Manager's menu and tell it to show the "CPU Time" and "Page Faults" column. Sort the list of processes with the most CPU Time at the top of the list.

Are you skilled enough to open the laptop, remove the CPU heatsink, and apply new thermal goop? Arctic Silver is a good brand and will help a lot with heat buildup under any conditions, but please don't crack the case open if you don't know how; take it to a shop instead, and hand them the tube of Arctic Silver to use -- if the tube comes back just as full as it was when you gave it to them, you know they didn't use it like you told them to.

4. xinster

xinster New Member

nope, absolutely no spyware. Which is expected, i run ad aware on a reasonable basis, and have never had popup problems. I am not skilled enough to open the laptop.

5. badguy106

badguy106 Location:Tn

6. tony

tony Guest

:eek3: you can over clock and under clock a laptop

7. tony

tony Guest

:ugh2: that is not bad for a laptop, most laptop cpys are now the cetrim crap :squint:

8. Boogieman117

Boogieman117 PSN: Boogieman117

Was the laptop designed for gaming? If not, that could be a reason it's overheating.

9. xinster

xinster New Member

its supposed to be designed not to suck. it can barely play mkv files and dvd

10. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

Where do you use it? Odd as it sounds, my shitty old Satellite overheats and shuts of my PCMCIA wireless card if it gets too hot, usually on my lap or on the couch. As soon as I put it on a table, it seems to work. I hate my Satellite.

11. xinster

xinster New Member

i put it on a wooden desk. A few months ago i used to keep it on another desk, with 40% of the side/corner that heats up the most hanging off the ledge. It would STILL overheat, but not as quickly.

12. Schproda

Schproda New Member

The fan is supposed to be on to keep the CPU from burning up....geez! If it gets so slow that your programs and mouse start doing odd things you've already forked up the processor and maybe the board. Laptops won't run the same CPU intensive programs and games that desktop units do. The only time the thermal function of the fan is supposed to make it come on is when the CPU is under a load. You probably have something running in the background that you don't know is there or are otherwise ignoring.

13. xinster

xinster New Member

no, its got 3 modes. max performance, mid, and silent. I clicmked the question mark, and silent is the least intensive

14. deusexaethera

Do a Google Search for "Notebook Hardware Control". It's a nice program that lets you control power, heat, and CPU clock speed on laptops.

15. xinster

xinster New Member

thanks

16. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Shows us some temperatures that Notebook Hardware Control displays on your Laptop.

17. xinster

xinster New Member

well it autoinstart turned off again, but the last temp i read before it did that was 48 C

18. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

19. xinster

xinster New Member

"I even tried updating the BIOS, but right in the middle of updating BIOS, the damn computer shut off. I don't want to attempt that again since I have a lot of my files on the computer, and I don't want anything to get lost."

lmao

20. deusexaethera

This will sound crazy, but it might actually help. Stick the laptop in the freezer for a few minutes, open the freezer door, and update the BIOS while the computer is still sitting in the freezer. If it still crashes and shuts off, then there's nothing you can do short of cracking the case.

21. xinster

xinster New Member

i cdan put an ext. fan on the vents and the thing'll run fine, ive decided to just get it dusted and gooped. do i gotta bring my own goop?

22. deusexaethera

"Bring your own goop"? Are you taking it to a computer shop to get it worked on? If so, then you should bring your own goop just so you know what kind of goop they will use. Chances are, your CPU is gooped using a conductive foam pad, or worse, a thin piece of lead foil. Either way, tell them to thoroughly clean the underside of the heatsink, not to just squirt extra goop on it.

There may be a way that you can rewire the exhaust fan to run whenever the computer is on, as well.