Help! My computer is in a coma

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dimlight, Sep 18, 2006.

1. dimlight

dimlight Drawn to me like moths

I about damn near ready to shoot my comp and put it out of it's misery....but I'd figured I'd field a call for help on OT before that.

Basically one day my comp started to fail, meaning in the middle of working it would just die out to a blank screen. No blue screen of death, no restart, I actually had to power down/power up the system completely to get it running again, and then it would just shut down again after varying amounts of time. Over time I thought I had narrowed it down to an overheating problem, or maybe a failed mobo/cpu, or a failed power supply....

So....I buy a new mobo/cpu (ABIT mobo/Pentium D Dual Core 3.2Gig) and a new power supply. After putting all that in, at first same results. Then once, the BIOS came up, and I thought it was working, but it looked like it just kept restarting over and over, and they finally went back to the blank non-boot screen, and it's been the same ever since. I don't even get the system beep that indicates that the BIOS booted up. I visually checked and everything seems to be powering up correctly. I thought maybe it was the video card, but the one time it actually booted I was using the built-in VGA port on the mobo, so I'm pretty sure I can rule that out.

My only other thought is maybe there is something happening w/ my RAM? I'm pretty sure it's probably not the HD, as far as I know that should have no effect on the comp initially booting up, but if I'm wrong in this thought let me know. At this point my troubleshooting knowledge only goes so far, and aside from testing my RAM theory tonite, I'm pretty stumped. BTW on a side note, the previous configuration in my comp before all the new parts had been functioning perfectly for over 2 years. So it's not like I had just built that computer and it failed soon after building it, which stumps and frustrates me even more. :sad2:

So now I'm turning to the OT folks in hopes that there is a comp guru-god out there that can help me. :sadwavey:

2. keleko

keleko yes, he is

remove everything except vid card and ONE stick of ram

power up

no go? swap a ram stick
    still no good? new psu
    still no good? bad cpu
    still no good? bad board
    still no good? /yourself and take it to a pc shop like you should have done weeks ago

3. howste

howste New Member

I had a similar issue a few years ago. I built a computer for a coworker at my house and it worked great. He took it home and it wouldn't work. He brought it back to work and it was fine there, as well as at my house. It turns out that the power in his house had inconsistent/low voltage.

I'd suggest that you try it on a different circuit and/or at another location like a friends house or work. If it works OK in there, then you might try a UPS or voltage regulator/stabilizer.

Other than that, keleko has the right idea. Boot the system with absolutely minimal hardware installed. If it works, add things in until you find the component causing the problem.

Also keep in mind that if your power supply is underpowered it could also cause this type of problem. How many watts is your power supply, and what other hardware do you have installed that draws power? (hard drives, CD/DVD drives, video card(s), fans, etc.)

4. dimlight

dimlight Drawn to me like moths

Thnx for the advice guys, I found out that it was my vid card.....however it rooted from a failing PSU. Basically it had fried my vid card before it pooped out so when a new PSU was put in, it would cause the comp not to start up correctly. New (better) vid card and PSU has solved the problem.

5. Anti-social

Anti-social We deal in lead

I know your not going to believe me but that was the first thing I thought of when reading your post. Just something very similar to that a week ago.