Help my comp did not save a very important document.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dollars0204, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Dollars0204

Dollars0204 New Member

Last week I was working on a very important document that I foolishly did not back up. Today I went to open the document and it was no longer there even though I saved the document several times while writing it. I need some God damn help. How do I get this shit back? Is there a program that I can download to search my hard drive for the file?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

if you are running windows click Start -> Search then search your hard drive for what you think you named the file. Possible you just didn't save it to where you think you did originally

EDIT: A good search technique is to use a partial word. So if you think you named the document: "the dog ran down the street" then do a search for "dog" only.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Dawt to all of that.

And to expand on the part of where it might have gotten saved...
    Windows will save a document to "my documents" by default, but if you had selected another
    location since the pc had logged on for another saved file, then it would have sent your document to that newest location.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Is there a program you can use to search your hard drive? Yes. It's called Windows.

When you say you went to open it and it was gone, do you mean it wasn't in the "Recent Documents" list, or do you mean it wasn't in the folder you thought you saved it in?

You're probably a good candidate for Google Desktop Search. No longer will you need to worry about keeping your files organized -- Google will just spoon feed you what you want.

5. AO

AO New Member

See if it's in your trash.

Look for a .tmp file, you might be able to recover most of it.

6. (brackets)

(brackets) New Member

A few places it might be (Windows XP)

c:\documents and settings\<username>\application data\microsoft\excel

This is where Excel defaults to storing it's Autosave documents. You may be in luck.

If you opened it from MS Outlook, it could also be under the OLK hidden folder within Temporary Internet Files. Open a document from Outlook again and do a File > Save As. It should show you the location.

7. keleko

keleko yes, he is

AND be sure that the search includes hidden files/folders and system folders

possibly it could be a temp file, like " ~$w Microsoft Word Document.doc " if word wasn't shutdown properly

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I wonder if he ever checked back. I would like to know if he found the file.