SRS Help: Mental rut, cannot break bad habits

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chickentendah, Jan 29, 2006.

1. chickentendah

chickentendah New Member

So, I am very conscious of my bad habits, and I still do them. After performing my bad habits, I feel guilty about it later. I keep promising myself to not do it next time, but before I know it, I'm doing it again. It's almost as if I lost all self-control and that i'm stuck in a undesirable mental loop.

I have identified my bad habits and the underlying reasons for doing them......it's really frustrating though....the answers are in front of me but i still can't fix the problems. is there anything i can do to just "change" my environment to kick-start positive change??

1) PROCRASTINATION i.e. with school studies and personal chores

reason: i have perfectionist tendencies and i have an "all or nothing" attitude...i find not being able to complete tasks to my utmost satisfaction very disturbing

2) EATING JUNK

reason: i'm stressed over obtaining my ideal body; i know how to obtain it, but i keep postponing my plans to undertake the changes........i already know how to excercise and eat right......i've gotten VERY close to achieving my health goals multiple times, but for some reason i always end up "falling off the wagon" near the end

3) OVERSLEEPING

reason: i believe I subconciously do this to avoid the stressful tasks of my days; if i oversleep, then i can give myself the excuse:
    "oh whoops! not enough time! that means i don't have to do it. it's not feasible"

please give me some advice. thanks in advance!!

:noes: :wtc: :hsd: :hsd: :hsd:

2. b-dizzle

b-dizzle Corporate Man-whore

Please read the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey

It will change your life

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

What you need to do is to put your mind on ZERO, think of absolutely nothing and start doing that what you have to do.

When you realise you have to goto bed, think zero just do.
    When you realise you have to do school work, think zero just do it.
    When you realise you shouldn't eat, think zero stop eating.

Because the moment you start to think you have to do these things, you go into that loophole. Don't think, just go and do it.

4. Create

Create :free at last:

This does not work. It's akin to telling an addict "Just don't smoke crack." and expecting them to recover.

7 Habits is a great book. I also recommend it.

5. Jay Pheezy

Jay Pheezy New Member

One thing I did to get rid of some habits was think of the negatives that come out of it while doing it. When I focused on the negatives, I did what I needed to do. That's not fool proof becasue you have to be controlled to do it I guess. But it's worth a shot I suppose.

6. B4 I FU R U 18

B4 I FU R U 18 Active Member

picked it up just now, hope its good :coold:

7. Jake!

Jake! Guest

i listened a lecture by Stephen Covey about the habits on mp3

i'll look to see if i still have it when i get home... i'll upload it if Darketernal looks the other way :run: it isn't a reading of the book, just a long lecture about them

it helped for me a little, i when back to my old ways... i shoudl listen to it again

edit: maybe there's a chapter on typing/spelling i missed

8. verveintuition

verveintuition New Member

Stephen Covey's work is fantastic. :bigthumb:

But until then:

1. Make To-Do lists for your procrastinations. Write it up the night before dividing out what needs to be done the next day. Every time you get a task accomplished, write a black line through it. Don't scratch it out though, you need to see it.
    The object is the simple accomplishment of completing each and every task.

2. Junk Food: It's willpower all day long. What motivates you to limit your junk food is up to you. What will it take? A health problem? That flab around your midsection? I suggest going to a gym and getting into that habit. If you spend your time going to a gym, paying money for it, and don't lose weight or tone up because of your eating habits, that junk food will get old fast. Also, do you eat out of boredom or emotional triggers? The fitness forums has some good posts regarding this and more.
    A food journal is a good idea, too. Write down *every* thing you eat, including the junk foods - and then you have to look at that list at the end of the day.

3. Oversleeping: I personally have 2 alarm clocks set across the room from me. I accept that I'm not a morning person, and I need to walk across the room to the alarm clock to wake up. When the alarm goes off, get up and put yourself in the shower. Get to bed earlier as well!

All in all though, the answer to ever improving yourself is your own self motivation. Get your ass in gear. You can change and improve the moment you decide to do it. Advice from others is nice for perspective, but it's your life. Good luck! :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  9. Create

Create :free at last:

If you're asking this question you're unlikely to take the time to apply it's concepts to your life. Reading the book is not what takes effort.

So, how much time will it take to do the book justice? Think War and Peace and multiply it by three or four.

10. Timdog

Timdog New Member

It always helps to get a little motivation to do things. Try this, if you finish some work that you have to get done, you can do something fun. BUT! Make SURE to do the work FIRST. Otherwise, it will not work. Although, if it will take you awhile, taking occasional breaks every 45-60 minutes is fine, but these breaks should never last longer than 15 minutes.

11. Kytro

Kytro I am become death, shatterer of worlds

All habits, good or bad are reinforced when you repeat them.

This means repeating pre-cursor actions will increase the chance of the behaviour repeating.

In order to break habits you need to stop the pattern from firing.

Possible helpers:

* Change your physical location (move your room about some).
    * Change the the times you do things.

Additionally, the rational mind is often overcome by short gains. You need to find a way to associate these actions as negative.

One possible way is to give someone you trust some money and have them send it to a group who you dislike if you fail to meet an pred-decided objective.

The crux of the matter: alter patterns