Help meeeee!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nPessimist, Apr 25, 2008.

1. nPessimist

nPessimist New Member

Hey guys. I need some technical support!

I have been trying to set up my old computer for my brother but have been having some weird problems. When I first put the computer together, I was running an AMD 3400+ and a Gigabyte K8NS Pro. I had to replace the motherboard because of sound issues (yes, im lazy... i use on board sound). The replacement was an Asus K8N. The Asus board worked great for awhile and then I got a "No keyboard present" error and decided i would just replace the whole machine. Yay for USB Legacy being off by default and no working PS2 port. Upon trying to put everything back together with the old Gigabyte board, I tried booting up the system and got no response; no beeps or display or any kind. I powered the system down and tried again. Everything powered up, but after about ten seconds powered off again. I thought that it was probably motherboard issue, so i tried with the Asus board and got the same result. I tested the processor on my other machine and it works fine... I really don't know what to do. All these parts worked well with each other at some point in time. I have ruled out any problems with casing, the power supply, and memory. If you have any suggestions, please respond to this post!

Thank you,
    nPess :)

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Did you reload the OS after you installed the new mobo/cpu?

3. nPessimist

nPessimist New Member

Yes, I reload the OS after just about every system change that I make. I don't even have a hard drive plugged in at the moment. It shouldn't make a difference right?

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yeah, HDD shouldn't make a diff.

you sure it's not RAM?
    use only one stick,... or better, try a stick from the machine that the CPU worked.

also, reset cmos on those two boards that won't work.

5. wizziebaldwin

wizziebaldwin New Member

Does the machine do a proper POST?
    See if you can get into the BIOS settings prior to the OS boot process.

If the machine will let you view all of the BIOS information and stays on for more than 5 or 10 minutes then that will rule out processor and memory (at least initially)
    If you have the ability in the BIOS to have a longer mem check do it and see if it check out ok. You can always go back to the quick version.

6. nPessimist

nPessimist New Member

I do not get a proper POST. I don't get beep codes or display of any kind. I have tried 2 video cards and two different types of memory that I know are compatible with the motherboard. Its driving me crazy!

nPess

7. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

just as a step back... don't you think it would've been easier and probably cheaper to just buy a sound card instead of replacing the whole mobo to make onboard sound work?

8. nPessimist

nPessimist New Member

I did buy a sound card at one point. I don't remember why i got rid of it though. Plus I was able to get the new motherboard in a package with other parts that i used to upgrade other machines.