SRS Help me with transfering Colleges

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Drifter87, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Background: Currently a student at RIT, 1st year, 3rd quarter.

Within the first 5 weeks of being at RIT I had my biggest dream shot down, I've always wanted to be an army officer (since age 6) and thanks to flat feet (even though they do NOT effect me in anyway) I got kicked out.

After that I changed my major frequently in the Computer Field. Started as Computer Science, then Computer Engineering, now Information Technology, soon to be Applied Networking and System Security Administration, and probably again after that.

Current:
    I find I am very unhappy at RIT, most of the kids here sit in front of there computers all day playing video games or just sitting on the internet. The weekends are very dull, after Friday’s last class, campus life pretty much dies. I go out of my way to find something to do, but I am no longer a gamer, I don't want to smoke pot, and drinking can be fun, but not every weekend.

Yes I have NO friends at RIT, when I changed majors, all my friends from that major just flat out ignored me. When I was kicked out of ROTC for medical reason, all the ROTC kids won't even look at me. When I quit video games, all the gamers stopped talking to me. I tried rushing the Frats, but the RIT Frats and me didn't match up well.

RIT also lacks women, but I did meet a girl at RIT, but she only calls me or shows up when she wants sex (She does NOT want to date). It was great at first, but after screwing around in High School, I am looking for a relationship not just another random hookup. I know I'm 18 and you all think I am crazy, but that’s what I want. (Picking up girls at RIT is the hardest thing in the world, even for a random hookup... 3:1, M:F Ratio)

What I am doing now:

I am looking at transferring to another college, but I really don't have any support. My parents want me to stay at RIT, my guidance counselor from HS also wants me to stay.

I made an appointment to meet with a Career Counselor here at RIT in hope to find a major that I might like. When I am done with the Career Counselor, the general Advising Office then will take over and help me out with picking a major. I guess after I pick a new Major then I can start looking for a new college.

I just wish my parents would realize I am severely depressed at RIT and would help me transfer colleges, instead of telling me how much I should love the place. Before RIT I would have a bad/down day once every 1-2months, now it seems I have a bad/down day, everyday since I arrived at RIT. (Being depressed for 30+ weeks really fucking blows)

I guess what I am looking for is help in transferring colleges or something to change my view of RIT so I stick to it.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

This is NOT good.

I contacted the USA Army , lets see what i can do for you.

3. Drifter87

My father was a Naval Officer for 23, he recently retired and my mother works closely with DoBMERB. Even with all the strings they pulled and me being a perfect cadet, all my medical waivers were denied.

Oh yes... I do NOT want to enlist.

4. Drifter87

I got an appointment for Monday 10am to meet with a Career Counselor

5. Drifter87

I guess people havn't transfered College before?

6. lauren

lauren Active Member

um, i transfered out of RIT. i hated it, and theres another kid on here who recently left.

the schools retention rate is horrible. you certainly arent alone. :o

the time to do it is now. youre early in your career...and the transition will be easier. do you have an idea of where you want to go? why do your parents want you to stay?

since you dont really know what you want to do for a major, i suggest doing a year or two at cc and getting your aa. it will make transfering easier...and give you some time.

where are you living? are you involved in any other clubs?

and what about jioning the army after graduation and skipping the rotc bit. iirc, rit rotc was sorta hardcore cliquish.

you may want to look into an honor fraternity, phi sigma pi. its coed, honor, and has a good blance of social/service/leadership and non-greek :o .

7. Drifter87

Parents want me to stay because my current major can make me 80k-120k+/yr. My parents will never let me step inside a CC. They want me to get my BA/BS and to get out of the house.

I currently live on campus in the dorms. I was part of the anime club, RC Car club, and club lacrosse. I like anime, but I couldn't take the people. RC Club rarely meets or has ghost meetings where no one shows up, Lacrosse Club... some senior player injured me because I was going to take his friend's starting position. (I could care less if I started, I just wanted to play)

When you say Honor Fraternity... does that mean I gotta keep some high GPA to stay in?

I looked into joining the army after college, but once again, flat feet are keeping me out. (I guess that means I can't be drafted)

What I really want is to take a year or so off from college and just go do something with my life or get into a regular college and figure out what I want to do with myself.

8. lauren

lauren Active Member

well, they are wasting their money. rit isnt much more than a 30k$ cc. and it has that feel to it.

anyways. money isnt everything, and you wont make 120k/year if you become so depressed you drop out entirely or otherwise get in a hole. and, given 2/3 of kids dont finish... they are counting those proverbial eggs.

i understand them wanting you to get out. rit is a 5 year school.... you transfer, youll be out sooner....at least a year. going two years at cc, then two more at a real school will still get you out of their hair a year early...

you cant choose a career based on what your folks want. well, you can, but you likely wont be happy.

are you in like cs house or anything? all guys floor? yeah, that kinda sucks.

yeah, but if you already have your degree... they might be more lax if its a sure thing youre gonna be an officer (and they didnt have to finance it) , depending on what your specialty is....no, they wont tell you this now. just something to look into later.

what i dont get, is your folks want you to stay, cause of the 120k bs. but, your dad was career navy. surely, he must know military pay scales... and those two dont compute. you arent looking to the army as career then, or just a year or two? and if you are looking for the army for career, what does it matter what your folks want? or what school you go to or what your major is? sounds like you are half doing what you want, and half apeasing them.

whos paying for rit?

9. Drifter87

IF/When I transfer, I will just go to a regular 4 year college. For some reason my parents look down on CC. I am good with computers, but it drives me up the wall. 3 months of working IT for a company and I was ready for a year vacation. (They loved me, but I started to hate it in the end)

All Male Floor, no speical housing... Building 28 Floor 2 (above the 2 Frats)

Damn... but I could do it in a major I like

My parents were saying something like this, but after being rejected for ROTC and my waivers denied and being treated like shit because I was dropped due to medical issues, I'm having second thoughts.

The only reason my parents were helping me with the army, is because it has been my life dream. I was looking into career Army Officer and to my parents thats respectable and jobs after the army can be decent.

Some reason they think RIT is the best thing to happen to me, that is why they want me to stay. But I have never been so depressed in my life.

Me and my parents split the bill for RIT. I work over the summers and give them my pay check. I work two jobs, one is $10/hr 40hrs/week, other is $20/hr + tips ??hrs/week. Both jobs all I do is fix computers. Now they are pushing me to get a job on campus.

10. lauren

lauren Active Member

ahah. i lived above zeta, 29 i think. yeah, they really lack the social enviroment of the towers :hsd:
    open to all majors, and there are even a few ntid kids in it. there are natureally a lot of engineering/cs/it kids in it, but yeah, all majors.
    dont let that disuade you in the long run. rotc is nothing compared to the real thing. i really think youll find a different attitude if you have you bs already, particularly if its something they need. what about other branches? i dont know about the army, but i know a number of navy officers who dont meet medical requirements :hsugh:
    tell them. you gave it an honest effort. its a decent school, but it really isnt all that great. the numbers for its ranking are pretty skewed (like, its only ranked with other schools that dont offer advace degrees). you are doing a good thing by recognizing it early on. sometimes things just dont work out. that doesnt make it a failure. not fixing things however, will.
    um,yeah. try to get a campus job outside of computers. branch out. theres tons of stuff besides working at gracies... :hs:

you can go to a lot of schools solely on the money you put forth. if your folks are being stubborn, considerd financial emancipation?

other than that, i dont know. :hs: its not their life... if you are really unhappy, and youve given it an honest shot, then you need to do what is right, and healthy, for you.

11. Drifter87

Yea they do... I got to visit this one chick in ellingson a lot, and they do seem more active.

If I do decent this quater my GPA will be 3.0+

I really wanted to be Army GI, Ranger, or Armored... but after I figure out my major and get my BA/BS I'll look into the army stuff again.

Parents said they would help pay for ANY school I want to go to, but somewhere lost in the fine print it has to be a "good" school in there eyes. Plus I am 18, and they don't have to pay for my college, so I am thankful that they are helping me pay for college.

Right now most the job openings on campus are Computer Related, and I would never want to work at gracies. I check the job listings every few days to see if there is something new.

If you don't mind me asking, why exactly did you leave RIT?

Also what I fear most, is I transfer to a new college, and I run into the same problems I have here at RIT.

12. lauren

lauren Active Member

i left for a number of reasons. was there three years. frosh year, i got a couple of really good friends... but then one by one they all left, and i never really got any other friends so it was just me an my bf by spring qtr soph year. i was in crew and the dance troupe (and the city ballet) but had to stop cause of injuries... we decided we both wanted to transfer and started looking but said wed give it another two quarters. over the summer some shit went down and i got a good look at the asinine ways of judical affairs, and left during winter quarter.

what i liked about the school? the mech-e program. they had some good teachers, the machine shop was always open (and the guy running it is awsome) and i liked how it felt a little small. :hs:

i went to uf the next spring. i love it here. still hate school. but im glad i changed. i learned from my mistakes (as far as socially withdrawing goes). plus, it helps just not being in rochester. its so depressing there.

yeah. i understand the fear of things not looking up with a new place. they did for me, and everyone else i knew who left :)

13. Drifter87

Well I hope everything works out for me like it did for you. I'll keep you updated and everyone else who cares as things go along.