help me with my car setup OT

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by robbinthehood, Nov 28, 2006.

1. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

So I had all aftermarket speakers, a new head unit, bazooka bass tube, and an amp all installed in my car some time back.

After having all this for a while, I have decided that i want a little more bump than the bazooka can offer. I drive a subaru impreza coupe, so i think all i will need is a 10 inch sub. I also have an ipod and i'm tired of having to play it through the radio in my car.

For christmas/birthday i think i'm giong to ask for a sub and head unit.

my questions are:
    -Can i just use the amp already in the car for the sub, and not have the speakers connected to the amp and still get nice sound quality?
    -are there head units that i can control the ipod on the actual ipod instead of only on the head unit?
    -will i need another amp for the speakers so i can have one for the sub and one for the speakers?

any help is greatly appreciated

2. mondaynightmike

mondaynightmike New Member

I'm no expert but here goes

Yes you would be able to use the amp for the sub. Do you know the spec of the amp though? Because if it's not a high spec amp and you get a high spec sub, your not gonna get the best out of the sub by having a low powered amp.

Can't help with that one i'm afriad.

There's two ways you could do a set up with sub/speakers.

One is to have two amps. One for the sub, one for the speakers, or what i have done before is to get a 4channel amp allowing me to run left and right speakers from 2 channels, then i bridged the sub over two channels as well.

The sub being bridged over the low channels, and speakers on the high channels.

Don't know if any of this helps :hs:

3. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

alright yeah that all makes sense.. thanks..

i dont know exactly which amp it is, but i know its a Class A Pioneer amp, so it should be able to handle whatever i'm going to get. i'm thinking just a single 10 or 12 inch sub due to trunk space.

4. johnson

johnson New Member

No it will not handle "whatever" youre going to get. Get the model of the amp to see what the power ratings are and get a subwoofer that can be wired to get the most power out of the amp.

budget 10"
    www.ascendantaudio.com > assassin 10"

I just got a 15" so I have an older Ascendant Audio Atlas 12" that I dont need anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  5. robbinthehood

robbinthehood New Member

how much you lookin for for that?

6. johnson

johnson New Member

Do you have AIM?

aimjohnson84