GUN Help me with my 10/22

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Cable Guy, Nov 26, 2009.

1. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

So if some of you can remember, I had a huge fucking 8-32x50 scope on my 10/22

Long story short, it fell over, and the damn thing ripped my rail clean off the receiver. Stripped the screws and all.

I've since then had a temporary solution of Epoxy. It's worked itself loose and can no longer hold zero, so I tore it off again.

Whats a permanent way to affix the top rail onto the receiver?

Since the fall, I've also downgraded to a smaller, functional 3-9x40, so repeats of the incident will be limited at best.

2. It ripped the threads out of your receiver???!?!?!? Have you tried heli-coiling it?

3. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I think it did strip the threads in the receiver. Looks like it did a number on both the screws and the receiver. I haven't tried anything but topical adhesives. Is the receiver thick enough for helicoiling?

4. Anything that is threaded is thick enough to heli-coil. You'll have to trim the insert, but if it's thick enough to thread into initially, it's thick enough to heli-coil.

5. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

How much are the heli-coil kits? seems like it might be handy once in a while.. I'll also need to get some replacement screws, damn it.

6. And technically a heli-coil is stronger than a standard thread. If you know what yo're doing you'll be fine.

7. You'll have to find a local or online retailer that sells them. Around here they're $30+ for the kit. It's well worth the money though compared to what it costs to have a part re-threaded.

8. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Sitting on my desk. Been wanting to sell it, but it just sits there. It's an NC Star, so don't get your hopes up.

9. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I'll stop by home depot tomorrow and dig around, maybe find some replacement screws too. In the mean time, I need to hammer out the old screws which are still epoxied in the damn rail.

10. What's this Hubble being spoken of?

11. Do you have any kind of specialty fastener retailer near you? Around here we have a specialty retailer that not only sells this shit, but can tell you what you need.

12. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

Try to find a bolt company in your area

13. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Maybe I can try an Ace Hardware? :dunno:

14. Give it a shot. Figure out what the thread you need is, and see what they can do. The problem with small fasteners and real shallow threads is that it's easy enough to force a larger thread into the hole and let it cut its own threads.

15. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

They might.
    The local bolt company supplies a couple of the hardware stores in my area

16. BLH

BLH Member

Possibly drill and tap out to the next size bigger, then mount and pin the rail?

17. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

You can always take the rail and reverse it. With the back of the rail now pointing towards the muzzle. The holes will line up in different locations. Then drill and tap the receiver. This time when installing the screws red loctite the shit out of them.

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Some funny shit right thur.

Anyways..... I'd first try what MG says if you have the means. If not, pay someone to do it. Yar's idea would work too, but if I was going to all the trouble I'd go ahead and make the area stronger anyways. I'm actually planning on heli-coiling my takedown screw threads here soon.

Check RFC, as I recall there being something in the "10/22 actions" section about doing the same thing. It gives a good breakdown. Thinking McMaster-Carr was the place recommended if you couldn't find somewhere local to get them.

19. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Auto Zone has off brand heli coil kits that work okay, but probably not that small. I'd look at McMaster-Carr

Yar's idea sounds solid too if you have the means to do it.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I hear ya. Somebody was telling me about a aftermarket rail that bolts to the receiver and up front on the barrel. Shit would be solid and you know it's going to be aligned to the barrel. That would be the right way to do it. If your putting the thing under a drill press or mill might as well do it right. Might as well cut the hole in the back of the receiver so you can run a rod, etc.

Can't remember the name of the rail but I remember it was kind of expensive. IIRC it was like $75

21. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Pretty sure Volquartzen makes that rail.

22. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

No I found it. It's accuracy speaks.

http://www.accuracyspeaks.com/public_html/parts.htm

3. 10-22 Scope Rail: Attaches to receiver, barrel or both to provide additional rigidity. Accepts all Weaver Style Rings. Drilling and tapping required for barrel installation. Supplied with screws.

The VQ rail just attaches to the barrel and floats over the receiver. I had that set up once upon a time. Did not like it.

Only $45 too.

23. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

24. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Is that site for real?!

Whoaaaa..... I have never seen that before. So the base bridges the gap between the barrel and the receiver? Am I reading that correctly? Wonder how that works with the various 10/22 barrel OD's, and the notorious variances in the top of the action (see "hump")?

If you could take the time to make that setup fit, that shit could be kinda neat. Provided you don' t rip the threads from the receiver, it seems like that would be an awesome way to prevent barrel droop.

25. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It's accuracy speaks so it's probably oversized. I'm sure there is a good amount of fitting. I agree it is the right way to do it. Like everything else it's all in the prep. Most the work is getting it fitted to your barrel and receiver. Again if you had some gay ass bench rest setup might be worth your wild. I got a list of gunsmithing chores longer than my arm that I need to handle first.