Help me with buying some home gym components (v.omgimfatnow)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Alt+F4, Dec 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

Holla.

After nearly a year away from the gym (bought another house, got a new job, went back to school at night, and I have a little 10-week-old broly), I want to put some shit in the basement so I can at least toss around some weight when I have the time. As it sits now, that's not very often, hence not wanting to drive anywhere to lift.

My current list is this:

-Adjustable bench (incline, decline, flat)

-Power rack of some sort (to squat, to use as a spot on bench, etc)

-Dip/pullup station

-Calf raise machine (haha, I found one for $40 on craigslist and couldn't pass it up)

I'm looking mostly on craigslist, which is kind of a pain because 99% of the stuff is junk. I found this ( http://nh.craigslist.org/for/240013317.html ) and it's crazy cheap, but I don't think that's exactly what I had in mind. For $50 though...

Should I look for any other items to get started? Is it feasible to buy a power rack online? A lot of the benches/racks for sale on CL don't have pictures. What is the standard width of the pins for benching (to weed out those stupid Modells specials)? My budget for the shit is about $500, I already have the weights.

Anyways, what's up to my brolys and see you around.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

theres a good thread in the archives about building a home gym but you are right...

the necessities are a power rack, adjustable bench, and IMO a lat pulldown/low row station.

A new rack can be found on www.newyorkbarbells.com They have one or two that comes with free shipping

3. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

That's where I got mine. Has served me very well.

4. Alt+F4

Which one did you get? Any ideas which have free shipping (I'm looking now).

I can't believe these are so cheap...I hadn't given any thought to new power racks.

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html the basic power rack is 299 shipped. Actually, the main page says free shipping on orders of $99 (excluding weights and a couple items) so I'd assume most racks have free shipping right now.

If you opt for a lat pulldown/low row machine, I'd suggest getting plate loaded machine so you can use your existing weights and don't have to worry about shipping an entire weight stack

6. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

Keep searching on craigslist too. I see a bunch of good deals on there all the time. I may go buy some squat stands and 600 lbs of weight for under 150 bucks if I can get a truck to go get it

7. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

8. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

very tempting but then you lose the gym audience and friends working out with you.

9. Alt+F4

:hug:

Not losing much when I don't go to the gym anymore. I see what you're saying, but I have an hour of free time per day if I'm lucky. A home gym is really my only hope.

10. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

aint nothin wrong with training on your own. As you will learn, training at a commercial gym has many more distractions then you'd think. Depending on friends to workout with you can be a huge pain in the ass too, especially if they aren't very motivated.

11. Alt+F4

Agreed. I guess I should have clarified earlier that I've been lifting since about 2002, really trailing off in the last year or so when I took a more demanding job and went back to school at night. I was a regular here for a couple years and I'm pretty psyched to get back into it here at home. I had a lifting partner for a couple years and basically started to do my own thing once I figured out how as he's been doing the same workouts since we were in high school (late 90's). I know enough now to be able to whoop my own ass without help, it's just being able to have the time. With weights in the basement, that'll be a reality again.

12. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

Wait, I was wrong, he wants 155!

13. cazzone

cazzone OT Supporter

Great to see you, OG broly.

14. Formz

That's the exact one I got. Has served me well from 225 squat to an almost 400 now.

I"m never going back to a commercial gym.

15. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

Isn't that model a bit wobbly? I own http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92565.html
    and I've had 225 on it and it's wobbly as shit.

16. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Glad this was posted, was going to post the same thing.

I have around 300lbs of plates, and two olympic bars.. I need to find a rack and a great bench (incline, decline, preacher attachment?).. Looking forward to working out in my own place. I love being on my own without distractions.

Checking out these items:

Power Rack
    Lat/Row

17. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

Personally, I would go straight for an EFS rack and be set for life. The half model i have from nybarbells isn't that great although it gets the job done. It's very unstable, jcups are scratched the fuck out from only a few sessions, and the paint chips. If you're handling big weights (400+) you definitely want something you'll feel safe in.

18. Formz

Not at all. I have had close to 400 lbs on the thing slammed it to the back wrack just fine. What kind of base do you have it on?

19. Alt+F4

I can't imagine the one that MaineSucks posted would be wobbly as it has the bracing all along the top - in essence, it's a box. Yours is missing that top support so I could see how it might sway a bit. I like the one he posted...$299 with free shipping (152lbs, I can't even see how they're making a profit on this shit), only problem being the height. I think I have joists about 86" above the concrete floor and I had aspirations of finishing the room (meaning a raised floor and drop ceiling), so the one you got might be more of an option.

20. Formz

Well check out the rack that I have that was posted for 299 shipped

The bench that I have is the $159 shipped "super bench" but it does not do decline: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/90655.html

21. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

It's in my basement on cement floor not bolted down to anything. Maybe I should fix it onto something?

22. Formz

Yea height was an issue for me. I had like 2" clearance. And in the apartment that I'm in, I wouldn't live here if it didn't fit. :rofl:

23. Formz

That's weird it should be solid. It's gotta be the lack of the top piece to brace it.

24. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

I would've gone with that rack if my ceiling was a bit higher. I don't have any experience with that model so it should be okay.

25. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

I think that's what it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.