MIL Help me win a bet

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Maffy29, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

There is a bottle of liquor on the line.

Was talking with a guy in my unit about prescription medications and such. We got to talking about medical uses for marijuana. Could you still be in the military (full or part time) and have a medical prescription for marijuana?

I think you can. He says no. Gave some bs story about his uncle having one and having his contract torn up in front of him blah blah blah.

2. spook

spook OT Supporter

I think if you ran it by your command first it might fly.

3. WildBull

WildBull Guest

No, medical marijuana is a state legality. Technically even states that have it as being legal are in the wrong because it's still illegal anyway. The 14th amendment gives due process to the federal government to have a say in what is a federal law which precedes state law. States cannot prosecute anyone who is legally taking medical marijuana, however, the feds can. Since you are all in the military, you are ran by the federal government. Marijuana is illegal if you are a federal employee.

4. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

In my unit, you get threatened with an Art 15 if your caught with Hydroxycut........Id love to see how medical marijuana would fly

5. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

hydroxycut? the NEW formula? it doesnt contain any ephedra...why would it be illegal?

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

[non military crew]

what's an Art 15?

[/non military crew]

7. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

8. ManinCamo

This man is right.

It amazes me how stupid you that you think otherwise /wokeuponthewrongsideofthebediniraq

9. RedBull

RedBull New Member

you woke up on the wrong side of bed

in iraq

and youre on the computer?

wait, what?

10. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

There is "Medical Marijuana" in which an independent pharmacy/dispenser supplies patients with the stuff, then there is a legit medication called Marinol that can be prescribed, no matter what state. I know this because my mother is prescribed Marinol so she can have an appetite. This shows you how fucked the medicinal pot situation is; a 30 day supply runs us $700 AFTER CHAMPVA pays part of the 'script. Which led my dad to grow his own, which led to our house being raided by the cops :o.

Marinol is usually only prescribed in dire situations; Cancer, AIDS, Anorexia, Other shit illnesses that cause extreme loss of appetite. I doubt anyone in the .mil would be prescribed Marinol because if they were in bad enough shape to be prescribed Marinol, they wouldn't be in the military anymore :hs:

http://www.rxlist.com/marinol-drug.htm

11. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

:hsugh: Oh man, you'll shit bricks after reading my post.

12. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

Its not illegal at all in the normal sense. Basically some bozo got all amped up on supplements and passed out in a Company run. In an attempt to make things dummy-proof, an order was given that no supplements are allowed (I think protein powder is still ok) and any violators are threatened with an Article 15. Nobody has called their bluff yet, but maybe we will see. Funny too cause Im pretty sure the Army is fueled on Dip, Cigarettes, No-Xplode, and Hydroxycut/Xenadrine. :rofl:

13. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

Mary Jane legal. No way at all. As far as supplements go. If there was an incident and the chain of command wants to put a stop to the use of a certain supplement, they can. However if it is not an illegal substance it has to be in a policy memo.

14. WildBull

WildBull Guest

"
    [FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]Rather than respond to public and political demands for marijuana's medical availability, federal drug agencies are instead promoting bureaucratically sanctioned alternatives which are synthetic, expensive and often ineffective. It is ironic that after decades of pretending marijuana is medically useless, federal drug agencies are now aggressively pushing synthetic Marinol, the so-called "pot pill," by arguing it is as safe and effective as marijuana.(43)

Patients familiar with the synthetic "pot pill" have strongly condemned the bureaucrats for "pushing" an inferior substitute. One AIDS patient recently told a reporter, [/FONT]​
    [FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]"I tried [Marinol]. I went through five pills before I was able to keep one down....When I did manage to keep one down it took a long while to take effect, and only worked about half a day. Two or three tokes on a joint helps me immediately."(44) [/FONT]

[FONT=book antiqua, times new roman, times]It's still not Marijuana. I think we'll see a change in federal policy in Obama's term hopefully. :o

[y]LvUziSfMwAw[/y]
    [y]GUze-oYsswI[/y]

Also, if you care about helping Veterans gain access to medical Marijuana through the VA there's a site which is trying to push policy on them for Veterans with cancer and stuff to be able to use it... http://www.veteransformedicalmarijuana.org/
    [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2008
  15. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

So it looks like I'm buying the bottle of Jack?

16. ManinCamo

:ugh: Bricks not shat.

17. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

It goes deeper than you thought, so he wasn't really "stupid" for thinking so.

18. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

THC is the chemical that gets you high.

Saying its not "Marijuana" is saying that Morphine isn't an Opiate if its synthetically created.

19. ManinCamo

More to it, maybe. I don't consider marinol the same as medical pot in the intent of the topic.

I still feel the same way.

20. WildBull

WildBull Guest

:werd:

21. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

But it "is" medical pot in terms of the medical field, since doctors can't legally prescribe someone a joint 2 times a day or every 4 hours.

It should not be taken lightly, either :420:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  22. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

No-Xplode, Hydroxycut, Xenadrine (new forumlas for the last two) are nothing more than caffiene + other stuff.

lame.

creatine banned too?

23. WildBull

WildBull Guest

They just banned that detox stuff that you drink before a piss test. Apparently they test for it now, but I don't know. The Marine Corps is just a bunch of scare tactic bullshit.