SRS Help me weigh my options here v.college

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bigman7903, Apr 24, 2007.

1. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Hay guys,

Alright, i had my meeting with my advisor at college, during which we discus my future at school as well as my possible major. My college determines that we have to declare a major by the end of my sophomore year, i just finished my freshman year. During the meeting i bounced the idea of being a History Teacher off my advisor since i've always liked history and i'd like to teach/coach. Little did i know that i have to major in Hist and minor in Edu and that it is extremely rigorous. In addition to this, i'd still have to meet liberal arts requirements such as math, english, science, and foriegn language (i'd have to take the math and the english and some of the science anyway for the teacher cert.).

Now don't get me wrong, i'm no noob at hard work, but this would mean i pretty much cannot take any class for fun/interest throughout the rest of school. I would be calling it very close in order to graduate on time. I guess i'm just asking for opinions on what to do, pursue this or put it on hold for another semester and think it over. I don't really enjoy school work and this would require a lot of it, but i think i would enjoy teaching/coaching. confliction :eek: Opinions would be very helpful, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

2. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

Well, your going to do pretty much want you want to do. I mean do you really have to take the "fun" classes or can't you suck it up and just buckle down and do what you have to do to get out? Just my 0.02 cents

3. BradUF

BradUF Guest

In FL you only have to major in History and get a teaching cert.

4. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

true, same here i think, but its still like 6-8 classes in EDU to get the cert and like 15 to get the hist

5. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

i know, but i'm still not 100% sure on what i want to do w/ my life, and i guess i'm worried that if i get out of school with my hist major and the EDU cert i'm sort of screwed, wtf do i do w/ a hist major :noes: just worried i guess

6. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

I dunno how things work where you are at school, but don't you just have to major in education to be a history teacher? I am assuming you want to teach something like middle/high school...i guess being a professor would be different of course

:dunno:

but i say go for it if that's what you want to do. You seem like a very bright person and I'm sure you can do it.

7. mustangkid18

mustangkid18 New Member

Who says you have to finish in 4 years anyway? College is the best time of your life. I'm not saying you should be in college as an undergrad for 8 years but what's wrong with an extra year of college?

8. Nolimitation

Nolimitation Guest

I don't see a problem here. There's nothing wrong spending a extra year in college to get it right the first time than rushing through and then decided to change your major later and end up spending more time in school. Rarely anyone graduate on time.

9. Amanda Ann

Amanda Ann New Member

If it's what you want to do, go through hell to accomplish it. Stay on top of your studies. No one says you cannot take "fun" classes to meet general education (arts, hunamities, etc.) requirements. I'm graduating in 3 weeks and every class I've taken has always been fun or interesting to me in some way. You just have to carefully plan out general education and elective credits.

Edit: Are you from Pittsburgh or do you go to school there? The Pennsylvania Dept of Education mandates that to teach on a secondary education level, it is not so much necessary to be an "education" major. For example, you would need a minor, but they would prefer a major in the subject area you wish to teach. Once you have that accomplished you take all your general PRAXIS series examinations, as well as the subject matter one. Research it if it's really something you want to do. I had an advisor really lead me down the wrong path my freshman year, and I've honestly self-advised since then. (Now, I'm not advocating for this whatsoever, but I didn't turn out too bad. I'll be starting a doctorate program in the fall.) Just look into your options on your own. Another thing with teaching, most states, if not all, have reciprocity when it comes to teaching licensures. So if you're in school in PA, get a licensure here, and find a job in Ohio.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  10. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Major in what you want to major in. Just because you graduate as a history major doesn't mean you have to do history stuff until the day you die.

My brother graduate with a Major in Japanese Studies and now has a career in IT/Program Manger after 6months of graduation (rarely uses his Jap skills).

11. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

:werd: I don't know why people are concerned if they don't finish in 4 years. Who cares? Take whatever time you need to get it done if that's what you really want to do.

12. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

According to my school (and i would assume that this would hold true for most schools) is that in order to do secondary education (grades 7-12) i need a major in a specific field, then a teaching cert (minor). Thanks, i hope. i'm going to talk with my advisor again tomorrow.

Nothing says i have to, but given that school is extremely expensive and my school is a 4 yr school, i would have to take a full 5 years since student teaching is in the spring of sr. yr. Honestly, if college is the best time of my life, i guess i don't have much to look forward to.

I grew up and live just outside of Cleveland, and i'm attending Washington and Jefferson College just South of Pittsburgh. Yeah, i understand what you're saying, it makes sense, i'm not sure i really want to follow your lead and advise myself (its required to have an Advisor anyhow). I'll have to talk to one of my teachers from home and see what she says when i go home for summer break.

True, although i think it would bother me a little to go through all that work not to use it. Oh well, welcome to America where the piece of paper is worth more than the education that came along with it.

13. JustJeff

JustJeff www.youtube.com/thisisjustjeff

Don't think that just because you are in a rigorous course does not give you time to take classes that you want to. I'm a computer engineer. I love doing programming and all that. I've had time to work on programming languages and all that great stuff.

However, I also have a music hobby. I can actually work in a music minor to my computer engineering degree. It's going to be hard... yeah, it's going to be tough... but I can get through it. Just manage your time efficiently. As long as you do your best, it doesn't matter how long it takes you.

14. kipper

kipper ...

I want to be a geography teacher. I don't know about your school but I am required to major in geography and minor in political science or history to cover more of the social studies stuff. I'm going to be in school for 5 years, no question. I have to take 21 hours of education stuff but I don't have to minor in it. Make sure that you are taking necessary classes now. I came to college not knowing what I wanted to do and I've already (after 1 year of school) taken 4 classes that will not contribute to my degree plan at all.

15. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

actually, by freak chance, all 4 classes i have registered for were all needed either for the Hist, Edu, or Gen Ed requirements, so i'm not wasting a semester :bigthumb:

16. kipper

kipper ...

that's awesome :bigthumb:

17. LordOvenMitt

LordOvenMitt New Member

No complaining. I am in school for Nursing..and at my school there are no "fun" classes built in. It sucks because there are several I am interested in and would really like to take, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

18. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

Yeah, i know what you mean, fun was probably the wrong word, more like interesting classes. Like once i turn 21 they have a class "Chemistry of Beer" that would be cool to take, its hard, but its more interesting than something else. But yeah, i do know what you mean, it would help if i knew what i wanted to do exaclty.