Help me upgrade!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by le_rocks, Jun 11, 2009.

1. le_rocks

le_rocks New Member

So i've had this computer for about 2 years now. I used to use it for gaming, but since those 2 years, i really only use it for itunes, homework and some other shenanigans. However, i have noticed some lag and feel it might need some upgrade. What is the cheapest and most efficient thing I can do to notice a big difference? I've defragged and ran all the clean-up software.
    [​IMG]

2. negative zero

negative zero New Member

If it's been two years and you haven't formatted/reinstalled Windows then that will probably help alot. Not a long term solution by any means but will bring your pc back to life.

3. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I remember the Pentium D! That was my first Intel RetailEdge purchase. It was horrible compared to the Core 2 Duo though since the processors didn't "share" resources.

NOTE: You shoulnd't have to reformat or reinstall windows that often. Look into TweakXP for a list of good things you can do to make it run faster.

4. negative zero

negative zero New Member

An install that's two years old shouldn't be formatted/reinstalled?? That just seems like a long time when software is installed/uninstalled, etc. I try and do mine at least once a year so maybe my opinion is skewed. BUt a format is free and might help breathe some life into it.

5. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

this sounds dumb but i tried a bunch of things then finally used air in a can and blew out all the dust from my power supply and more importantly my heatsink on my processor... i had a variable fan on it and i guess i left it cranked on too much and it just blew dust in for like 2 years... noticed an immediate speed increase

6. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Yeah, typically you shouldn't need to. Back in the day of Win98SE it was necessary. But with XP and Vista I have installed once and been fine.

As far as the dust in concerned, DUH! Once to twice a year your should clean it out!

7. le_rocks

le_rocks New Member

So clean the fan and processors with air in a can? Ok i'll try and that first, brb lol

8. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

yeah I'd run CCleaner and get more ram, ram is usually pretty cheap and you can get 2 gigs to help speed up the computer.