Help me upgrade

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robb, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Id like to upgrade the following things on my computer-sound, graphics, video
    I have an emachines w/ the following
    1.9ghz
    80gb hd

The computer is equipped w/ an integrated video and sound card i believe, i know i would need to get a sound card, video card. Is it easy to install the cards, i just place them in an open PCI slot and the computer will recognize them? Id like some recommends on cards and such, im trying to keep this project under 300 and that is with the purcahse of a dvd-rw drive as well ( is that hard to install?) After i do these upgrades will i notice a negligible difference in performance? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2004
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, a dvd-rw is gonna take at least $80 outta that. Sound card is $35 for an okay one.

is it 2.7ghz (never heard of that) or an amd 2700+? They are VERY different.

as for video cards, a PCI video card is gonna suck bfdd... If you don't have an AGP slot, then save up some squid and get a new mobo that does. If it's an amd (i would assume it is) then you can get a good mobo for around $60-70.

3. Robb

Robb Guest

4. Robb

Robb Guest

ok, i looked at the specs and i see that it only has one drive for the cd and dvd rom, when i replace that drive, is there an all in one drive i can buy, i.e cd/dvd burner as well as the ability to play dvds and cds?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, the Pioneer 108 or NEC 3500a do everything under the sun.

you have an AGP slot, so get an AGP video card -- that is VERY important if you want to play games!

Personally I wouldn't do the sound card unless you are unhappy with the way it sounds now.

6. Robb

Robb Guest

yeah, im an audiophile at heart, and im moving back home and i cant take my home theater w/ me :( so id like to be able to have this equipped w/ a nice sound card as i already have the logitechs 680's, they sound good but i know they could be better, could you recommend a video card w/ agp? Is that pretty much plug and play, and the drive i just replace whats in there now?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, for the drive, you replace what's in there, then install the software so you can burn cds and dvds.

for the video card, nothing is really "plug and go", you will need to install a driver. what games do you play? I need to know how you use the system to recommend you a card.

As for the soundcard, define "audiophile"... Do you need a SB Live ($35), Audigy 2 ZS ($100), or some type of pro-audio card, like a Route 66?

8. Robb

Robb Guest

Well, i dont really play games now, but id like to get doom3, tiger woods 2005 and maybe a racing/car type game.
    As far as audiophile, i enjoy hearing the subtleties in my music, in my car i have focal comps off a brax amp and jl subs off a jbl 1200. so i like my music clean and loud. i could probably be fine w/ a ~100 card im sure. When u say that the video card isnt plug and play and that it needs drivers, after the initial plug and play, is it hard to install the drivers? Ive never done much of anything w/ my computer before but would like to make it nicer

9. Robb

Robb Guest

do you know of any online guides that would help me? Ive found a few that are really nice w/ detailed describtions and photo's, i hate to keep bugging you. I really appreciate your help

10. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

Give us the ammount of money you're willing to spend on the total upgrade, and we will tell you what to get. (is that what you want?)

11. Robb

Robb Guest

okay total is 400.00 including shipping
    Yes thats what im looking for i suppose, along w/ tips on installation, thanks

12. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

Where are you shipping to?

13. Robb

Robb Guest

illinois, i meant shipping if i bought the components online

14. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

Pioneer Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DVR-108, OEM $72.00
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0244" -OEM $55.00
    ATI AIW RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit,
    DVI/CATV/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO" -RETAIL $256.00
    Shipping to WA $12.99
    Total $395.99

Pioneer DVD burner. Don't replace your original drive, just add this one to your 2nd 5 1/4 bay. This will allow you to burn on the fly. There will be spare power and spare IDE pluggins inside your case to make this work. Before you put it in your case, make sure to set the jumper on the back of the drive to 'slave'. You'll understand once you look at it. You didn't say anything about burning software so I didn't budget for it. Nero is THE burning software to get, I highly recommend it.

The sound card will fit in one of your spare PCI slots. You'll need to install drivers for this. All you have to do is install the hardware, boot into windows and follow the directions that windows prompts you to do.

The ATI AIW (all-in-wonder) 9800 Pro. This is a really decent video card. You said something about not being able to bring your home theater with you so I thought of this. This thing has a ton of inputs/outputs including coax. You can watch tv on your computer, rip tv shows without commercials etc. etc. You'll be able to play any game on the market with this combo, maybe not on the highest settings, but you won't be missing out on anything. The only other upgrade I could advise for the near future is a RAM upgrade. This should hold you over for a while though.

15. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

16. Robb

Robb Guest

Thanks. the only problem i forsee is that i dont have a second 5.25 bay i dont believe. And how much is it to upgrade ram :) might as well do that while its all apart

17. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

[​IMG]

If this is your computer, you have a spare 5 1/4 bay. If you want to upgrade your ram give me a minute to rework your hardware choices.

18. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

Pioneer Black DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DVR-108, OEM $72.00

Corsair Value Select 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail $72.50

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0244" -OEM $55.00

ATI AIW RADEON 9600XT Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, CATV/Video Out/Video In, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9600XT" -RETAIL $185.00
    Shipping $12.99
    Total $397.49

Only thing about these choices is that the RAM is on sale today and the video card is currently out of stock.

19. Robb

Robb Guest

Okay cool, i just took the side panel cover off my case to see if i can do this. So after i buy the dvd-rw drive i put it in the lower bay and then inside connect the 'slave' ribbon cable to the back along w/ the extra power connection, i saw that inside there, still not sure what a pci slot is but ill figure it out. The video card goes in pci slot as well? Then after placing them in the pci slots i will restart my computer and be prompted to place the drivers in? I think i have it all figured out. Awesome

20. Robb

Robb Guest

One last question, I WILL see a difference after installing this correct or am i wasting time? Thanks

21. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

You will only see a difference in sound quality if you have the speakers or headphones to utilize it. Not too difficult. Graphics/Video quality will be increased probably 100 billion times whatever crappy integrated chipset Emachines is using. The RAM upgrade will help you out for when you're burning DVDs. This set up will allow you to a lot of things on your computer.. and many at the same time :)

Just for reference this is my system
    P4 3.2e
    Asus P4P800-E
    1 Gig of Corsair PC3200 Ram
    Radeon 9600AIW
    Pioneer DVR-106D
    Toshiba 16X DVD drive
    Dual WD 36 Gig Raptors (10k rpm SATA drives)
    Viewsonic VG700b 17" LCD
    Cheap headphones

College Student on a budget=midlevel computer+headphones :)

22. Robb

Robb Guest

sounds nice, doesnt mean much to me as i dont know much about computers really, i have logitech 680s so those are pretty nice speakers. will the ram also help the computer run faster overall?

23. Alerin

Alerin Ruiner

The 680s are nice, yes. And the ram will help your system run better/faster... mostly when you're trying to do a few things at once though. In normal one app situations you wouldn't notice a difference. When I'm encoding a dvd and using bittorrent I'm using over 500MB of ram and about half my cpu. It all depends on how much/how big the apps are that you're using. Most new games like a gig of ram too.

24. Robb

Robb Guest

Okay, See im moving back home to my parents and when i do im going to get cable internet, it isnt available here, im on 56, i used to be at my parents house too. But Ive come to the conclusion that i NEED :) cable internet. The main reason is i want the ability to download movies, tv shows music and not having it take all night. And obviously Ill need a dvd burner to burn the movies too. That is basically the reason for the upgrading now. I thank you guys for all your help, im finally moving into the 21st century i guess, im excited

25. Robb

Robb Guest

Oh, and the link i posted is wrong, i was at school and i thought that computer was the one, but i got home and mine actually looks exactly like that but it does say 2.7 ghz 80gb and 128mb ddr.