A&P Help me understand this SLR (pic inside)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by frinky23, Nov 17, 2003.

1. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

So instead of going out to buy a camera just yet, my girlfriend handed me her camera and told me to play around with it since she's too busy with school to use it. I understand how to use the light meter to get the right combination of aperture and shutter speed and can focus well enough, but I'd like to understand more about the camera. I don't have access to the manual, so I was hoping that the good folks of OT can help me understand the camera.

Here's a picture of it. It's a Pentax ZX-M with a 50mm 1:2 lens.
    [​IMG]
    So...
    Starting with the lens. I know that the bottom row of numbers is the aperture, and I line that up with the red diamond on the second row (correct?).
    I have no idea what the second row of numbers means (anyone know?)
    The third row of numbers is the focal length (distance to object?) Is this the correct term?

The dial on the left is for the ISO. I see that it has a 0, +- 1, 2, and 3. I'm guessing that the camera reads the ISO from the film cartridge, and you would normally keep it at 0. What do the steps up and down do?

The dial on the right is shutter speed, and I would assume are listed as 1/printed speed. I'm guessing that 2S is two seconds, but what would B,100,and A mean? A is probably automatic, where the camera chooses based on the aperture you've set?

2. RacerX30

RacerX30 New Member

1. Depth of field scale.
    2. Yes
    3. I'm guessing exposure compensation.
    4. B= Bulb setting..U press shutter button and hold in for as long as you want.
    100 is the synchro setting for a flash when you have one attached to the
    hotshoe. And I think you guessed right for the A setting.

3. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

Cool, thanks. For the exposure compensation, how does that affect things?

4. RacerX30

RacerX30 New Member

The "+" side will brighten the picture "-" will darken it. however this may only work when you have it set to A on the lens barrell cause I would think if you set the aperture manually it might override this.....not quite sure though..i've never used your specific camera.

5. hey what's the name of that camera. interesting.

if the +/- signs are for the iso, than it is used to step up or down the speed of the film.

say you put in 400 speed, and the day is particularly over cast or extremely bright. then, to even out the color balance (more so with b&w) you'd step up or down the iso # and conversly change the aperture/ss. I don't have my notes so I can't remember which way or how much.

6. the +/- has nothing to do with the film speed.....that has to do with your shutter speed and aperture.....it is a light meter scale that helps you adjust the shutter speed and apeture until you have the right light exposure for the picture to show up correctly.....when u look inside of the camera the light meter is on the right...move the +/- until it is directly in the center and then thats where your picture needs to be to be taken correctly.....theres a little button on the back that says ml...turn the dial to iso on the left then press that button and it will change to film speed to where you want it....then turn the dial back to 0.....the middle bar is the apature....

A is automatic
    B you can hold it down for however u want but use a tripod
    100 is 1/100 of a second....the larger the number....the faster your shutter goes