GUN Help me understand my state laws...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by solo, Feb 11, 2004.

1. solo

solo up and down

So it says.....
    There is no minimum age to possess firearms under Arizona law, although federal law prohibits the possession of a handgun or ammunition for a handgun by anyone under age 18. 18 U.S.C. § 922(x)(2), (5). Federal law also prohibits the sale by a licensed dealer of a handgun or handgun ammunition to anyone under age 21, per 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(1), (c)(1). This provision does not prohibit private sellers (sellers not federally licensed) from selling handguns and handgun ammunition to persons under age 21, however.

Arizona had prohibited minors (defined as any person under age 18; see Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 1-215 (22)) from possessing or carrying firearms, subject to specific exceptions, under former Ariz. Rev. Stat. § 13-3111. While section 13-3111 is still technically codified within the Arizona Revised Statutes, the entire statute was expressly declared unconstitutional in In Re Cesar R., 4 P.3d 980 (1999).

Im 20 and in the market for a beginner hand gun. My dad was a cop so I have been shooting for years and have been brought up around gun saftey. He has a desert eagle and a few revolvers that i dont know much about. Were can i find a non liscensed dealer?

2. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

in jail. contact an attorney, not the OT-online-attorney-services. while you could get away from it, it's the not the odds, it's the stakes that you have to keep in mind.

also, an unlicensed dealer is committing a federal offense. that's why FFL's exist. if you make your living from selling firearms, you are a dealer. if you are a firearms dealer, you MUST, under federal law, have a federal firearms license (FFL). so, you might want to rethink some of your plan. i, too, am 20, and while it seems an eternity to wait, if you just turned 20, take this year to save your money. that way, you can buy a nice handgun, a nice holster, get a carry permit, some spare mags, and lots of practice and defense ammo.

3. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Well from what it sounds like, Arizona might be like Texas. If you're under 21 you can legally buy a handgun through a private seller, while you cannot buy from a licensed dealer. Doesn't make much sense, but that's the law.

While it's true that if you're a firearms dealer, you need an FFL , an individual need not have an FFL to sell an invidivual weapon from their collection to another resident of the state as long as it's legal there. This is legal in Arizona, as well as Nevada, Texas, and a few more.

With that said, you should ask around and get a few answers before you take a plunge and possibly violate AZ law.

Go to gunshows if you're looking for private sellers. Or the local range will usually have a bulletin board with people selling various guns.

4. solo

solo up and down

I was just asking people who have more knowlidge on the subject than i do.

5. footratfunkface

an attorney would fit that description much more than would people whom you do not know, and whose qualifications are, for all you know, just what other people have told them on the internet, the way you are asking them to tell you.

if you get information here, do not trust it as accurate until you have verified it. and if you're going to verify it, why not just ask the verification source the question in the first place?

that was my point.

6. RCSTZ71

RCSTZ71 Guest

That is how it is here in Florida too.

I used to work in a gun store and we could not sell to anyone under 21 but the law says they can buy one form a private citizen.

7. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Can I buy a gun from a citizen in ca if im under 21 years of age?

8. footratfunkface

you can't buy pistols. or most any other firearm, because california is nice enough to restrict so many of them.

9. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Like most places, you have to be 21 to purchase a pistol from anyone in California. Being 18 in California you can buy from a private party, but you have to go to a store with an FFL and do a licensed transfer. They do all the stuff gun stores do, NICS, 10 day wait, blah blah, etc, etc.

Not really worth it unless the person has something you can't get at a normal gun store.

10. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Its worth it to me. I'm under 21 so I cant buy it through the dealer, so anyone in cali wanna sell me a gun? :bigthumb: