Help me understand..... carbs vs. fat & total cals in vs. total cals out

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Reduce., Jun 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reduce.

Reduce. Psychogenic Polydypsia? No. Just a small bladder.

If weight loss essentially comes down to total cals in vs total cals out....why does it matter what my macros are if i get enough protein 1-1.5g/lbs?

If I go 40/40/20 p/c/f vs. 50/40/10 p/f/c, but both equal my maintenance calories, what would be the difference?

2. smb is me

smb is me New Member

Oversimplified answer:

Where you get your energy from: either carbs or fats. Some diets suggest high carbs others suggests high fats, depends on your goals.

Generally speaking, low carbs is best for cutting.

3. Reduce.

I keep hearing that low carbs is best for cutting. I actually did cut pretty nicely for Memorial day going low carb/high fat/high protein, but I pretty much hated my workouts without the carbs. Going to go back to eating carbs and I'm wondering how it will affect me.

4. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

. kinda explains it in a way

5. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

How long did you do that?? I'm on low carb/high fat/high protein and after about 4 weeks it's starting to get much better. :hs:

6. Reduce.

2 weeks. i was already pretty lean, but wanted to get really dry...did 200 under maintenance and 50/40/10, lifted 5 days a week, cardio for 12-15 minutes every workout day.

7. smb is me

smb is me New Member

So on a full keto diet, it says no carbs. that means no direct sources of carbs, right? B/c almost everything has a carb or 2. (egg whites have 4 per 120 cals, protein shake has 4 per scoop) and various other foods have 1 or 2, including greens.

On a full Keto diet you'd still be eating greens and takign shakes, right? (appears to be the case on the palumbo diet).

8. Reduce.

how bad are these low/no carb diets on your kidneys? Isn't it kinda bad to have so much protein w/ no carbs? Or is that just a myth that's been fed to me?

9. grimstone

ya there are gonna be trace carbs on a keto. green veggies plas fat and meat. the hardest part about the keto diet for me was the carb up. I never really got that right and screwed up any fatloss.

to much protein will not hurt your kidneys unless you already have a exsiting problem.

10. golfnut019

golfnut019 i love them little white balls

Same question from me as well.

11. golfnut019

golfnut019 i love them little white balls

So in summary, only meat and greens on a keto diet?

12. grimstone

you need 40-60%fat the rest protein trace carbs. you will prolly end up with 30-50grams carbs a day from trace sources

13. grimstone

Acceptable foods on the keto diet:

All Fish: Tuna, Samon, Sole, Trout, Flounder, Sardines, Herring, Anchovies
    All Meat: Beef, Pork, Lamb, Veal, Venison, Ham*, Bacon*
    All Fowl: Chicken, Turkey, Duck, Goose, Cornish Hen, Quail, Pheasant
    All Shellfish: Oysters, Crabmeat, Shrimp, Lobster, Clams, Squid, Mussels
    All Eggs: Scrambled, Fried, Poached, Deviled, Hard-boiled, Soft-boiled, Omelets

*Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats may have added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates.

Cheeses: Cheddar, Cream Cheese, Swiss, Mozzarella, Gouda, Goat, Blue Cheeses
    Low-Carb Vegetables: Peppers, Mushrooms, Celery, Cucumber, Lettuce, Romaine Lettuce, Radishes, Bok Choy, Parsley
    Low-Moderate Carb Vegetables: Artichoke, Asparagus, Snow Peas, Spinach, Broccoli, Spaghetti Squash, Eggplant, Brussel Sprouts, Tomato, Cabbage, Turnips, Onion, Zucchini, Cauliflower
    Salad Garnishes: Grated Cheese, Sour Cream, Hard-Boiled Egg, Mushrooms, Bacon, Oil, Vinegar, Full-Fat Salad Dressing
    Herbs & Spices: All Spices, Garlic, Basil, Pepper, Dill, Thyme, Oregano, Ginger, Rosemary, Sage
    Fats & Oils: Olive Oil, Vegetable Oil, Canola Oil, Walnut Oil, Soybean Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Sesame Oil, Sunflower Oil, Safflower Oil, Butter
    Beverages: Filtered, Mineral, Spring, Tap Water, Club Soda, Heavy Cream, Decaf Coffee, Decaf Tea, Herb Tea, Lemon Juice

Unacceptable Foods:

Avoid Sugar: Instead, use artifical sweetners such as sucralose or saccharin

Avoid The Following: Bread, Pasta, Grains, Fruit, Starchy vegetables or Dairy products other than cheese, cream, or butter. Do not eat Margarine or any other foods with hydrogenated oils (trans-fats).

*Do not eat nuts or seeds in large amounts, as they often have too much carbohydrates. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrates, such as chickpeas, kidney beans and other legumes, are not permitted.

Avoid "Low-Fat": Foods that claim to be "reduced-calorie" or "low-fat" are often packed with sugar. Avoid them at all costs.

Avoid Caffeine: Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar.

14. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

I wouldn't avoid caffeine. Low carbs will make you feel lethargic and the caffeine helps.

15. smb is me

smb is me New Member

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=4172417

another thread on the low carb/keto for those seeking more information.

But to address your statemen: What exactly was hard about the refeed on carbs? Hard to know how much to eat? Hard to get enough? I thought you just blow up the carbs, seems like that would be a once a week heaven after not having any. I know right now on 75g of carbs a day, i just lay around dreaming about bagels and bannanas and other carby foods.

btw, thanks for the info grim, i'll be emailing a link to this thread to myself for future reference.

16. smb is me

smb is me New Member

I read on another site that when you are in a good ketosis your energy levels will pick back up after 2-3 wks, but the effects of caffeine will cause you to once again feel lethargic.

Anyone with experience know if this is true?

(if it seems like i have a lot of questions, its b/c starting in july i'm going to try this out.)

17. BrianCash

BrianCash New Member

I have been doing the atkins for the past month while on EC Stack and lost 30lbs.

18. grimstone

make sure you have a refeed meal at least once a week or your thyroid will take a dive from the no carbs

19. BrianCash

BrianCash New Member

yeah I have been just eating a subway sandwich every saturday

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.