Help me spend money and beef up my car stereo

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Whalephat, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

Heh.

Okay, I'm wanting to add a subwoofer to my setup. The car in question is a Ford Mustang GT. I am not looking for thunderous booming mega-bass death from a subwoofer. I want a balance of SQ and depth with the ability to get a little loud if I feel like blasting Saliva's "Click Click Boom" as I zip down the highway with the windows down.

I am not into hip-hop music. I listen to rock, dance/trance, alternative and the occasional classical piece for grins and giggles.

Right now I am thinking along the lines of using an MTX Thunder 6500D mono Class-D amp for the subwoofer(s) just to keep with the MTX amp theme. They've always worked well for me and I can get a good price on the 6500D should I chose to go that way.

So, I have narrowed my subwoofer choices to the following. Please help me decide which I really want to go with. :big grin:
    • Two Alpine SWS-1041 single voicecoil 4-ohm subs (2-ohm mono)
    • One Alpine SWR-1041D dual voicecoil sub (2-ohm mono)
    • One Alpine SWR-1241D dual voicecoil sub (2-ohm mono)

Now you're probably saying "But dude... those are all Alpine subs!" and you would be correct in doing so. And very astute, I might add. But the fact is that I kinda like the Alpines so that's the direction I have been leaning.

What do you think? Which one should I go with?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2002
  2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

would be my choice. :)

3. lsondubz

lsondubz Guest

1. i have an mtx 6500d amp for sale, used 2 weeks, will let it go for $220 shipped!

2. want an awesome sub? i can get you concept audio subs/amps/speakers w/e you need way below retail, they are awesome products, some guy just hit a 146.5 (legal) w/ 1 12"

4. Whalephat

Whalephat Conservative Bastard

Sorry man... I already own one too. :big grin: I've been picking up a piece here, a piece there over the past few weeks. Now I'm ready to pick out a sub or subs.

Never heard of that brand. I'm looking more for SQ than SPL and, as narrow-minded as it might seem, prefer to stick with one of the mainstream brands that the local retailers carry. That way I can go pinch a loaf on their sales counter if something goes wrong with them. ;)

5. lsondubz

lsondubz Guest

they are becoming a mainstream brand.... and they come with warranty.... conceptcaraudio.com... if you ever need anything feel free to hit me up