Help me! Scythe Infinity doesn't do shit!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by o2, Apr 30, 2007.

1. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

I just picked up a massive Lian-Li case, a new PSU, and a Scythe Infinity cooler, in hopes of getting my ridiculous CPU temps down.... I was getting 70C idle, 100C when rendering video on my QX6700 (stock speed, stock cooler).

Now Im getting 65C idle, 95C under load. :ugh:

What the hell? This HS is like 4 times the size of the stock 1, and this case is 2x as big as my old one. I was under the impression I would be getting 35C idle, 45 under load with this thing. 5C drop is very pathetic. So worth the $500 I dropped on this case + HS...... :wtc:

The 120mm fan blows into the heatsink, and the other 120mm case fan, blows the air OUT of the case. Im getting mad air flow through the cooler, which is basically sandwitched between 2 120mm fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

how are you measuring the temps? Does the temp change any if you wiggle the cooler around to any specific direction? You did use thermal paste... right? Not too much, not too little?

3. o2

Temps dont change if I wiggle it. I used enough paste to cover the CPU. Probably a little less than a grain of rice.

4. RiSk

RiSk New Member

you could have bad thermal conductivity, befor faulting the cooler I would clean both the headsink and the CPU also make sure nothing is ejecting hot air onto the Heatsink or any of its heat pipes, this could add to your heat issues.

And last make sure there is not a BIOS update for your system that might fix any sensor issues that you might have.

5. o2

I was getting those insane temps with a stock cooler, which shouldn't have been happening in the first place. This is a totally different case config as well. The cooler itself doesn't seem to hot, and nothing is blowing on it. other than the massive 120mm fan on both sides.....

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That is a convective heatsink. The heatpipes can't convect unless the hot ends (touching the CPU) are lower than the cool ends (sticking out the top of the heatsink). The way you've got it set up, they're completely sideways; convection doesn't go sideways, it goes up and down.

Lay your case on its side and see if the CPU cools off.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would actually agree with deusexaethera. We had loads of problems with some Asus Premium boards in a reverse-ATX case and then we figured out that the northbridge had a heatpipe and remote heatsink setup that did not function properly in the "reverse" ATX case design (the HS was lower than the northbridge in the rev-ATX case, but in a normal ATX case, the HS would be higher).

Replacing the northbridge heatpipe with a conventional heatsink from Zalman fixed the issue.

8. Create

Create :free at last:

Damn, you're usually spot on. This time...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  9. deusexaethera

How bout he tries it and THEN we can pass judgement on each other?

10. o2

I'll try this tonight.... but it would be very retarded if it works. The case is too nice to be laying on the side.....

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I didn't see you mention what you're using to measure temps.

I'm running my E6600 at 3ghz today, and I havent' seen it go over 36C.
    (with a Zalman 7700 series copper cooler)

There's no way you should be getting the temps you've posted.

I'm suspecting the measuring method.

12. o2

I use CoreTemp, Speedfan, and nVidea Monitor. What do you use?

13. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

All three are telling you the same temps? :confused:

I use CoreTemp. I think it's the most accurate one out there.
    But I wasn't aware that it worked for quad cores. Does it show all four cores?

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they all get their temps from the rheostats. So if that is defective, then they're all going to report incorrectly.

15. deusexaethera

If it works, the obvious solution would be to get a conductive heatsink (where the fins come in direct contact with the base) like one of the round copper Zalman units, instead of the convective heatsink you now have.

Also, don't forget to perform the idiot test -- touch the base of the heatsink and see if it really is scalding hot like the readout says it is.

16. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

Could always try lapping them as well :dunno:

17. o2

Well, I got 1 of those infra-red temp meters. The top of the heat sink is about 26C. middle is about 32C, and very bottom is about 42C. CPU temp is 52C after the night of running.

I didnt realize there were 2 types of heat sinks. Still gonna try putting the case on the side today.

18. deusexaethera

Heatsinks with heatpipes in them rely on convection of water vapor from the hot base up into the cool fins to dissipate heat; the fins in these kinds of heatsinks rarely touch the base substantially enough to radiate a meaningful amount of heat if the heatpipes aren't working. Aside from the pipes running through the heatsink, convective heatsinks are usually easy to distinguish because the fins are mounted parallel to the base instead of perpendicular to the base.

Anyway, is it possible that your readouts are in Fahrenheit, but they're labeled as being in Celsius?