Help me redo my bedroom Pics & info

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Creator, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Creator

Creator The Creator Has a Master Plan

I've never really thought about my room much before. It's just a collection of shit accumulated throughout the years with little to no conscious planning. I think that is fairly clear in the final product so it's about time I do something about that.

The curtains are horrible. They came with the room and I never bothered to change them. They let in so much light and are plain old ugly.

The walls are this light green that I am not a fan of but the chances of me repainting the room are very low.

My dresser and night stand I am happy with. They are solid oak, not Ikea crap.

My bed has a boring and broken metal frame. Its a cal king. The sheets aren't the best in the world either. That brown is very.. meh. Pillow cases are mostly 6 years old :rofl:

The desk i like in theory but in execution it's not the best because of all the clutter you can see under it (all the computer and power cables)

A final issue is that I have to use my room as my office so the shit on the walls and the big pad of paper are for writing. Have to work around it.

So what I need:

New curtains
    New bed frame - I like the style of the Ikea Malm, but again dont like Ikea
    Maybe a new desk, or some way to organize it better.
    Other miscellaneous suggestions. It could use a general make over.

I much prefer to buy higher quality used than just go to ikea and get stuff made out of brittle foam board.

The good news is I have a fair amount of room to work with here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Creator

Dont mind the trashbag and clutter, im cleaning up

3. Problematique

Problematique New Member

how could you even call them curtains :rofl:

4. Creator

:rofl:

I know, I really really hate them, just one of those things ive put off for a year now. I think that simple purchase will do wonders for my room. And help me sleep.

5. SuperGriff34

SuperGriff34 OT Supporter

whats wrong with ikea, they make some decent stuff... half the shit in my house is from ikea, never had a problem with any of it

6. giz

giz Active Member

werd. it may not withstand a hammer, but for normal everyday use it works just fine.

7. Creator

Ok Ikea isn't totally out but lets not make it the ONLY option.

8. Joybang

Joybang New Member

nvm....

9. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

10. Creator

:squint:

11. Libera

Libera New Member

You could try putting your bed on an angle in one corner of the room. A black iron bed frame would look nice to match the hardware on your dresser and nightstands.
    For the windows, blackout blinds/shades or lined curtains (floor length) would keep out light.
    A bulletin/dry erase/cork board would help with the desk area as well as some floating shelves above it. You could use baskets to hide clutter on them.
    There are products to cover and hide cords for your computer.
    More lighting would help.
    Maybe a rug under your bed.
    If you need more storage, get some plastic bins to slide under the bed. A bedskirt would hide them.
    A nice duvet/comforter, sheets, shams and some throw pillows for the bed.

12. Creator

:bigthumb::bigthumb:

[​IMG] Something like that?

The bed is big, so I worry angling it will take up too much space? Then again maybe it'd help.

Checking out blackout shades, what are those going to run me?

Corkboard is easy as I ahve and use them all the time. Floating shelves aren't a bad idea. Add a little texture to that wall.

What should I do about lighting?I hate the light next to my bed but keep it because I need the light.

I've go ta comforter but its in a closet somewhere. I'll throw it back on.

Thanks !

13. Libera

Libera New Member

Yeah, that looks nice. If it takes up too much room, try it without the footboard. I like Target and Wal-mart for shades and curtains, so if you get them there they will be pretty cheap. The lined type help with heating and cooling costs too.
    If you can, maybe add a ceiling fixture. I like mini chandeliers, but that might be too girly for your tastes. You could find one with the black iron you're using in the room and it shouldn't look feminine.
    I would put the floor lamp you have now behind your desk, in one of the back corners. You could even just sit it next to the back left corner of the desk. Then you could put a desk lamp on the other side of the desk.
    Two table lamps for the night stands. Maybe put one night stand next to the bed and one next to your desk and use it to put your printer, paper, pens, whatever crap is all over your desk in/on it.
    If you don't already have the rest of the bedding, you should get some. It doesn't have to match the comforter you already have. What color is the comforter anyway?
    If you need help picking out specifics, I can try if you tell me what type of style and colors you like.

14. cedric

that's just about the worst bed ever. are you trying to look like an 80yr-old widow with 15 cats? :rofl:

15. Joybang

Joybang New Member

And if he's worried about the quality of Ikea...I don't know what to think if that rickety old looking thing, lol.:rofl::rofl:

16. Creator

:rofl:

I was trying to find an example of what he was talking about :dunno:

I still like the style of that ikea bed but I guess im the only one here who doesnt like Ikea as far as build goes.

17. cedric

I've had an Ikea Malm bed for the past 3yrs and it's never given me any problems. It's a bed not a damn car.

If you're so worrieid about it, you can buy something like this from West Elm, but it's gonna cost you 3-4x as much :o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Creator

Maybe im just blind hating then.

I'll get a fawking Malm probably in blakc.

19. cedric

any chance I could get you to replace the drawers and curtains while you're at it? :o

20. Creator

The curtains are the first thing I want to replace.

The drawers too old style? Im so used to how my dad did our house with antique furniture and such that is probably what has influenced me.

21. cedric

you need to figure out a style before you start buying shit. If you like the drawers and want the room to look traditional then keep them, but definitely don't buy the Malm bed -- or almost anything from Ikea for that matter. If you want to go more contemporary, get rid of them and start with a clean palette. Right now you've got about 3-4 different things going on and none of them are working :o

22. Creator

Yah I totally agree.

I don't have wads of cash to burn on this, I just want to update the room and make it look not so college-y / thrown together. I also don't plan on being at this apartment more than another year and hopefully the next move will be to someplace kick ass that I'll want to stay for a long time and put the full time and money into. So this is an in between thing.

Getting rid of those drawers and dresser isn't a huge deal but it just seems so unoriginal to get all my shit from Ikea, you know? There isn't much personality in that.

23. Joybang

Joybang New Member

I think your personality will show more through the small shit you place throughout the room. Not the bed it self.

24. cedric

where you get the furniture from has nothing to do with the personality it'll convey. It's how you combine and arrange whatever you have and what touches you add yourself that'll speak the most. The only thing that the furniture itself dictates is the style. Everything else is execution.

You could blow 200K on furniture in that room and still have it not exude personality :o

25. Creator

Touche