help me please

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dbdraggin, Feb 28, 2004.

1. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

ive got a friends computer here that im trying to fix for him, its a compaq about 2-3 years old.

heres the deal, i was working on it at his house trying to get it to recognize an older cd burner i gave him that i had installed, didnt change anything at all and was in the process of giving up when the whole thing appeared to freeze.
    nothing worked, mouse keyboard, control alt delete, nothing... i finally had to hld the power button in to shut it off.

when i turned it back on, there was no signal going to the monitor like it had gone into hibernation mode or wasnt even turned on. the lights blink on the keyboard but it never goes as far as to recognize the caps or number locks, the lights on the cd burner and the dvd rom both light up, but not the floppy drive, also the usb doesnt work either (no activity from the mouse, its one of those ones that doesnt need a pad to operate)

so i took it home to hook it up to my monitor and try to play with it when i had time... odd thing is that in the roughly 2 hrs between attempts the damn thing worked again at my house! it restarted at least 5 times before i pulled out the cd burner i put in but couldnt get the computer to recognize. figuring the problem stemmed from the burner and everything was fine i decided to defrag and run scan disc, everything was working fine but when i came back about an hour later everything was frozen again!

what i have learned:
    1) its not the video card itself because i swapped it out and still had no video
    2) it wasnt the burner because its still doing the same thing
    3) if i leave the computer unplugged for a decent amount of time (assumably the caps on the board discharge) the damn thing works fine again and then freezes some shortly after, this has happened to me 4 times now when ive left it unplugged.
    4) the processor is not getting too hot because the fan is still spinning fine

when it was working the last time i ran avg and it came up with a virus named "kolotoc", and it was titled as some "joke program" whatever the hell that means! but the virus has been there for a few months apparently so i dont see how that could be the problem.

can anyone help me, this is a very good friend of mine and i feel somehow responsible since i was handling the computer when it decided to take a shit.

thanks for your time and thanks to everyone who answers, ive got this tagged so if theres anymore questions ill respond asap.

russ

2. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

ttt

can no one help me?

3. MattIROC

MattIROC has a semi nice av. changed due to rules :(

power supply sounds weak. Try a bigger, better power supply. That's all I can really think of. :dunno:

4. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

nope, swapped the ps shortly after i made the topic. i also tried both ps's just running the motherboard and the a drive... nothing

i changed my email addy in my profile here and the forum software wouldnt let me post anymore cuz i never got a confiramtion email.

i also checked the ram as well and still got no results.

thanks for your input tho

5. dbdraggin

dbdraggin New Member

anything else?