Help me plan a linux NAS

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mobbarley, Aug 1, 2006.

1. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Help me plan a linux NAS --Now with pictures

I have a need for network storage on the cheap & a mini-itx board laying around :cool:

My plan is to purchase two identical HD's and lightweight linux with RAID mirror. Because I want it two be small & I am going to use a small motherboard I can see a few potential problems:

1) I want the system drive to be seperate from the 2x mirror drives, is booting off a flash drive (such as a USB key) an option? Would there be any performance hit compared to a normal drive (other than boot time). I assume I would have to install sufficient ram & turn off swapping?

2) The board has one IDE connector and it is ATA 100, the onboard LAN is 100 base & I have one PCI slot at my disposal. In terms of read performance would be be better to:

a) Connect both HD's on single cable & use 1000BT lan card (most of my computers are 1000BT)
    b) Use the PCI for an IDE raid card and stick with the onboard 100BT lan

Any help would be greatly appreciated :x:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  2. Dj_MikeyMike

Dj_MikeyMike New Member

From personal experience.. i found it better just to have both hdds on one IDE cable, and running a 1000BT lan.. although i dont think you'd get the full 1000BT if your running it on a slow pc..

My server is

P4 3.2Ghz
    1gb DDRII Ram
    2x 1000BT Lan
    Geforce 4 MX 440
    4 x 250Gig Seagate's

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Linksys NSLU2? It supports up to 2 drives, runs Linux and there are tons of hacks out for it.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Your tcp stack will be the bottleneck regardless of the tiny hdd configuration.

Best to use a gige card. Unless you only have two or three clients, don't bother.
    Best to tune your nfs or samba server to write/read at the correct blocking depending on what it is doing
    Best to increase and tune your tcp settings in proc/sysctl
    Also recommended to tune your client's cifs/nfs/samba settings individually.

You will see different performance characteristics with each protocol.

Don't expect anything phenomenal from this IDE/ATA100 mirrorset.

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Thanks for the tips guys. As GBs per $ (with some reliability) is my aim I have purchased an ide controller for the pci slot & 4x segate 250GB drives. Im planning to set them up in software raid 5.

I decided against the gb ethernet card as it is an older EPIAV motherboard & slow enough as is. For this project performance isn't as important as having more storage space.

Now im going to build a custom enclosure & try to make it as fanless & quiet as possible.

6. et3rnul

et3rnul OT Supporter

This is probably not exactly what you're looking for, but you might be able to abstract ideas from it:

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2006/08/01/cheap_fast_diy_raid_5_nas/

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

begining of URL started with "toms" and therefore is useless... much like your posts seem to be.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

cheers dickhead..

we all know who tom is and about his chain of sites.

9. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

If the controller card has two seperate connections to connect to the card, then that is the best way to go. Avoid putting both drives on the same cord. It will cause bottle necks because you have to wait for one to finish before the next one will process. If you can seperate it out to different controller cards the better.

I wouldn't look at booting linux on a flash drive. Go get a really small IDE drive and just use that. 10 gig drives are pretty easy to find and you can pick them up pretty cheaply.

Are you going software raid or hardware raid? What type of raid are you planning on using? The final question is, what are you planning on using it for? High Performance, just plain old storage, etc etc. These things will help you plan the type of raid, and what type of tuning you need to do.

10. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

For anyone who may be interested, here is my progress.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EPIA Mini ITX
    4x Segate 250G
    Software Raid 5
    1x 2.5 HD for OS
    Slackware with bare minimum installed
    Generic 3U rack case

The 4x Segates are stacked vertically with 120mm fan behind, w/ electrical tape shroud :noes:

LCD using LCD4Linux, wrote a script to show raid status, temp of individual drives, flashing icon for high CPU/DISK/LAN usage. I'm going to be picking up a large graphical lcd from work to replace this one.

Yes I know I need to clean my shelves.

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Check out FreeNAS. It's a very slim FreeBSD pre-configured to be a NAS, and it has an extremely slick web GUI. They just took top consumer appliance in the VMWare Ultimate Virtual Appliance Challenge (they offer a non-appliance version as well, of course).

12. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

I looked at freenas, but Ive learned more this way. I also needed to be able to compile my own kernel on it, being my only linux machine.