Help me pick Video and TV Card

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IAMwhitey, Jan 22, 2005.

1. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

I currently have the FX5700

and i just got this LCD Panel

I am getting rid of that graphics card for a few reason, the image it displays is not so great on the LCD. its good but i think it could be better. The TV card on it just sucks ass, doesn't work with SP2 and hardly ever works without SP2.

So I want to get two seperate cards. one video card and then just a TV Tuner card. I am not very good at picking out vid cards so thats why i am asking for you help! PLease give me suggestions on what would be the best for me. THanks in advance!

2. PRIME

PRIME New Member

I cant compare it to other brands since I have no expertience with them but my Hauppage PVR-250 works great. These cards dont steal from your mainboards processor because they have their own.

http://www.hauppauge.com/Pages/compare_pvr.html

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

If you want a TV tuner card to use as a PVR, get a Hauppage 250 or 350. If you just want to watch TV, look into the ATI all-in-wonder series. The Hauppage is a good tuner, and built-in MPEG is a must for PVR, but the software install is clunky at best and the included software sucks IMHO.

The ATI AIW's are good tuners, the software is better than Hauppage, and the graphics are pretty good. ATI also makes seperate tuners, if you really really want two seperate cards. Unfortunatly, though, the ATI cards don't include hardware MPEG encoding.

If your LCD supports it, get a card with DVI out and use that instead of the VGA connector. Most newer cards have DVI outs, so that shouldn't be a big deal.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the Hauppage 150 is newer than the 250 and uses a better chipset. If you like the 250, you'll want to get the 150.

The ATi AIW is the *worst* (well, one-of) on the market. Stay far away.

For video cards, you *must* use DVI with an LCD. If you don't quality will be poor. If your LCD doesn't do DVI, then, well, you're screwed. Also make sure you run the recommended resolution, and nothing else. Check the LCD specs for this.

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Have to disagree with this one. I've used a number of tuner cards over the years, including 4 ATI tuners, 2 of which are AIWs. The software is better than any other product's included software (all lag behind MCE'05 or BeyondTV though), the tuner quality is as good as any other card (it's TV, not HDTV, there is only so much you can get out of it), and the drivers are very stable. The only downsides are no hardware MPEG (only a prob. if you plan to record TV) and the Gemstar guide program sucks. The AIW RF remotes are also better than the Hauppauge IR remotes.

I'm already looking to toss my HTPC's Hauppauge 250 for the ATI TV Wonder Elite (Hardware MPEG) when it comes out.

6. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

yeah i am running DVI right now in 1600x1200 and its amazing.. but playback of DVD's and other videos is kind of poor. thats why i am thinking i should ditch the nvidia all in wonder and get two seperate cards

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the AIW is ATi, not nVidia.

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

DVD and video playback has nothing to due with the tuner card, it's a function of the video card itself. What are you using to play DVDs? Is it set to use hardware as opposed to just software playback?

9. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

i know it has nothing to do with the tuner card, but when the video card and tuner card are the same thing... I am just saying i am not happy with the video of the Nvidia card.

my bad for calling it an AIW, its the same type thing just offered up by nvidia. tuner and video all in one.

10. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yea, the NVidia tuners are a bit sub-par for some reason. Suprising considering it is NVidia. Again, what tuner is best depends on if you want to record TV vs just watch TV.

11. rightdownupleft

rightdownupleft New Member

buy the new ati x800 xt for pci express!! i have it and it is a sexy!!! talk about extreme graphics!!! it will set you back tho!!
    ]

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, if you want pci-e, then get the 6600GT. The x800xt will be obsolete soon, but the 6600GT will not (pixel shader, anyone)

13. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

ok well I sold my NVIDIA card today... So i need a Graphics Card right away...

specs i need, AGP 4x/8x, DVI, 1600x1200. I can get a TV Card later... but need to order a graphics card today. Thanks for your help, i have no clue on this stuff! Just link me up a few that you think would be best!

14. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i'd pass