Help me pick out a new laptop, please?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Suicide Pinai, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Suicide Pinai

Suicide Pinai flawed if i'm not free

Sooo....I currently use a laptop, but it's my mom's. They always like to say it's mine, but then if my parents get pissed, they just take it away. I'm 19 years old and I should probably buy my own now.

I am pretty much clueless about computers and I don't want to ask my girlfriends because they pretty much go for the cute and tiny ones :ugh:

So, to help me out, here's some info of what I need it for. Hopefully that will help in what kind I should get. Feel free to ask more questions to help me decide and to also show me what i should get :)

1. I'm not really looking for a laptop to bring around to class, just need it for home, but it would be great if it were easy to bring around to class, too.

2. I like to download lots of music and play lots of games, so I don't know if that info will help it at all?

3. I'm looking to spend 2k MAX. I don't want this to be something I would be paying off my whole paychecks with every month.

And I don't know, need something fast. My current laptop is crap. It lags like a mofo

2. xinster

xinster New Member

laptops are all about cute and tiny

3. ady

ady New Member

What games do you play? I assume it's ones you download off the net like puzzle games or card games and such, for this post, if it isn't I'll post some other options.

I'll reccomend a Thinkpad T60. Upgraded with 1GB of RAM, a larger 5400RPM harddrive (don't bother with the 7200RPM), a 15" screen, Windows XP Home, 3YR warranty, make sure to choose the non-business one. Then you can decide if it is worth getting the accidental coverage which is around $100 per year cover I think. Don't bother with more than 3 years. That should run you under $1500 even with a 100GB drive without the accidental coverage. They are really the best laptops out there ignoring Apple and not counting Panasonic due to their high cost.