Help me pick out a good pair of headphones

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PumpkinPrincess28, Feb 15, 2005.

1. I'm looking to replace my Pioneer HDJ 1000 that got broken in a move.

My listening is for music and for gaming. The music I enjoy covers a wide range including rock (Bush, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, etc), rap (Outkast, Snoop, Dre), trance, and classic rock.

I like smooth, solid bass (not hard and sharp) and I like my highs the same way (not sharp and jaged).

I'm mainly interested in a cushion, closed air system. I might be willing to go for a foam, open air system - but i doubt it without some convincing.

A boom mike (like on the Sennheiser HMD 280 Pro would be cool, because i've seen my fiance get into teamspeak and it seems neat).

I'm running it all from my PC with a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (at least that's what he tells me he put in it).

My budget is 200 dollars MAX (although I might be able to beg my hubby for more).

Here is what i've found so far that I really like (including my own Pioneer that I may just get again). The following are linked to the tech specs of each headphone. If anyone knows what that gobeldygook means, I'd like to hear.

Sennheiser 580

Sennheiser HD280 Pro

Sony MDR 900

Pioneer HDJ-1000

I have no idea what all those tech specs mean :( Any advice or translations would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2005
  2. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

I have a pair of sony MDR-V600's which are very decent I find. The price range of the Sony's is a little lower, you might want to try the V900's. I find the biggest thing is comfort, if you plan on using them quite a bit. I've heard nothing but good things from Grado and Sennheiser as well

3. Shampoo

Shampoo Rinse & Repost

Same as what I got :eek3: Very comfortable, and fairly cheap.

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

All those headphones are godlike, well the sennheiser ones. I have a pair of HD497's which are cheaper than all of those, and they sound AMAZING. however...they are quite cheaply made and take damn good care of them.

5. Yes, I have heard good things about the Sennheiser as well. The comfort levels are a definite plus.

From the reviews i've read the upper end Sennheisers are very well put together and come with 2 year parts and labor warranties.

I'll do some research on the MDR V900's and see if I like them.

I guess the best thing to do would be to repost this in the audiophile room and let those music notes disect the tech info on the headphones to tell me what all that gobeldygook means (is 300 ohm nominal impedence better than 32?).

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I own a pair of the HD 280 pros and LOVE them. The bass isn't as hard hitting as my roomate's Sony DJ headphones, but mine are 100x more comfortable. The rest of the spectrum sounds excellent.

You can really wear them all day with out getting tired of them.

7. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Oh and I am going to move this to Home and Car audio because you will get more/better answers there.

8. Thanks for the move, Rob, and for the advice.

The Pioneer HDJ 1000 I have now used to be my hubbie's. He liked them because they had very solid bass (much like your friend's Sony DJ headphones) but I found them to be very uncomfortable for long periods (like when I want to play SWG or Roller Coaster Tycoon 3).

I removed the Sennheiser HMD 280's from the list because he told me I don't need an aviator quality mike and can do just fine with one of these (Link) clipped to my monitor.

So far i'm really liking both the Sennheiser 580's and the 280 Pro's. The Sony's someone recomended seem nice as well, but i'm afriad they are "DJ Quality" like my Pioneer HDJ 1000 and will be uncomfortable.

Can anyone here translate the tech specs of the 580 and the 280 Pro and tell me what the difference is?

9. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

The main difference I would say between the 280s and 580s are the 280s are closed and 580s are an open can.

With the 580s everyone in the room will be able to hear what you are listening to, and they also don't do that good of a job blocking out outside noise. Despite that an open can is going to give you better over all sound quality.

The 280s are closed which do an excellent job of blocking outside noise. I can wear my 280s on a plane you can't even hear the constant drone. But this does come at the cost of how acurately the driver can reproduce the sound. I think mine sound fine though. :p

10. beez

beez New Member

I use a pair of MDR-V600s for DJing and listening. I think they're very comfortable. They're also extremely durable. I've had mine for 5 years now. They've been through cross-country moves, wild shows, international travel, being dropped on the concrete, etc etc. The only real wear-and-tear that I've noticed is the loss of the plastic liner around the foam bit connecting each 'phone. I think that would have been slowed had I not lost the little carrying pouch that came with them.

11. 04

04 Guest

I'd suggest the HD-580's. I've got a pair of the HD-600's and they sound pretty much the same (my friend has the HD-580's). They sound better than the HD280's and HD497's too IMO.

However, if you listen at high volumes, it is pretty easy to hear them, so if isolation is a major concern, you may be better off with a different set. Another problem with the HD-580's is that they have a high nominal impedence, which can make them hard to drive if you listen at high volumes with a soundcard.

If you don't listen very loud, the outside noise created really isnt that bad, and the Audigy will drive the 580's just fine.

12. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I'd say HD580 hands down if you are going purely for sound quality and accuracy. If you want a load of bass and listen to a lot of hip hop you will be disappointed.

13. I appreciate the feedback on the 580 boys. I think ill go with the 280 or MDR900 because, as Rob said, the 580 is an open headphone which means ill have to listen to his Battlestar Galactica series while i'm playing SWG.

Can anyone please look at the tech specs between the 280 Pro and the MDR900? I linked to both of them. I have no idea what they mean, and my hubby admitted he isn't to keen on audio tech.

14. Ok, i've definately limited my choices down to the Sony MDR900 and the Sennheisner HD 280 Pro.

They both have good noise attenuation (so he can't hear my games and I can't hear his). They both cover the ear well (although the MDR900 covers it a bit better). They both offer good sound with the MDR900 offering better bass (that can be toned back using my sound software) and the HD280 Pro offering slightly clearer mids and highs. The MDR900 seems to have the edge on comfort, ease of use (like removing them from one ear), and fatigue. The HD 280 Pro has a definite advanage on price, being almost $50 less.

I wish there was someplace nearby I could go to check them out. We are in upstate new york though, so I doubt there is anything nearby :(

15. Zemo

Zemo n00b of the year

HD280 pro, hands down, between those two. All of the lower/mid/uppermid sonys have a bloated and sloppy bass, midbass hump, recessed mids, and high end distortion out the wazoo.

Just to confuse the mix a little more, I'm going to reccomend the Audio Technica A500's and A900's, available from audiocubes.com. Far more comfy than the HD280's, closed, more balanced, and a far more intimate and smooth sound.

You'll dig 'em, for sure.

-Z

16. After checking up on the Audio Technica's they have not only entered my list, but are currently at the top. My only concern is that I can only find ONE place to get them (SoundCubes.com, i think) and it's an import from Japan with no warranty.

:(

17. Zemo

Zemo n00b of the year

you're right, audiocubes is the only place to get 'em. I wouldn't worry about the no warranty stuff. They are awesome cans, very solidly built, and audiocubes is a reputable company that I've delt with before on a few occasions. I say go for it!

-Z

18. FunkDat

FunkDat New Member

hd-580s

19. Zemo

Zemo n00b of the year

Re read that part, FunkDat. Closed, no external amp. this pretty well rules out the HD580's.

-Z

20. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

I was looking into getting my first pair of good headphones... will the 580s sound like garbage without an amp?

21. Zemo

Zemo n00b of the year

No, the 580's will likely sound better than anything you've heard, even unamped. But they won't reach their full potential without one.

-Z

22. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

23. 04

04 Guest

Nope, they sound great without an amp, they just wont get as loud. But, if you listen at loud levels and your source can't output enough power to them, they could sound bad if you keep cranking the volume to compensate.

24. Zemo

Zemo n00b of the year

The purpose of an amp is NOT to get loud. It can yes, but that's not it's purpose...it's to more accurately power and control the dynamic load provided by headphones, resulting in a higher quality sound.

And volume aside, the HD580's NEED an amp to sound the best they can. If you'd like more info on amps, feel free to drop by my website: www.z-audio.net
    -Z

25. 04

04 Guest

Exactly, an amplifier amplifies a signal. It doesnt enhance anything though. Assuming for some reason you had a shitty source that was severely degrading the sound, adding an amplifier wont magically restore anything.

And I honestly have never used an amplifier that didnt have linear power response.

Interesting your amplifier that you are selling seems to be a CMOY variant. I too have built and use a Cmoy for my HD-600's, but it doesnt make the sound 'better' than what a soundcard can produce.