GUN Help me pick my rifle.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ElectricJW, Oct 13, 2007.

1. ElectricJW

ElectricJW We are all ONE!

I've been interested in picking up a hunting rifle lately. I would be hunting deer at the biggest. But there are black bears in the areas I would hunt in, so I would also like the rifle to be powerful enough to kill or scare off a bear encase I encounter one on a hunting trip. I really don't know too much about the different types of rifles and stuff, so when you recommend a gun, if you could give a little info on it, I would appreciate it.

I would be willing to spend around 500$ or so at the most, unless I can find a bad ass gun that costs a little more.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semi or bolt? For a bolt .308 Savage will do the job and you can get one and a semi decent scope for about what you want to spend.

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Actually of the two deer rifles I inherited (not that I have taken either hunting yet, so take it with a grain of salt.) I love my Marlin 336 series. Its a lever action firearm, mine is chambered in 30-30, pretty old caliber, before 308 was the cartridge of choice and 30-06 before that, but its easy to find relatively cheap and from reviews I have read still a decent dear round. They make it in 308 now I believe as well as 35 Rem. They make other lever guns in a variety of calibers.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/centerfire/336SS.aspx

I threw in the link to the stainless steel version, but you can find the others. You can find the other lever guns there if you like.

Most people either throw on a peep sight or a scope, I'm still on iron sites. Aside from my 22 is may be the most accurate rifle I own at the moment.

4. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

I also like the Marlin 336. My father has one and it's fun to shoot.

I gather that 30-30 is preferred in densely-wooded areas or other situations where relatively short shots (generally 200 yards or less) are the norm. I understand that so long as you accept this limitation and your marksmanship is up to snuff, the 30-30 round is adequate for taking most medium-sized game.

Arguably, no easily-handled weapon is enough to reliably fend off a bear. They're tough and commonly survive mortal woulds long enough to kill you once they're pissed off enough to attack. That being said, a 30-30 round will likely do far more damage than most any handgun round if it comes down to that, and shot placement may not be as critical.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2007
  5. ElectricJW

ElectricJW We are all ONE!

Thats a pretty sweet looking gun in that link. And how much is this gun usually go for?

Is there any difference b/w a level action gun, bolt action, or semi, when accuracy is concerned? Or does it even matter?

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

hell I think I might have good news for you, if you can't find it anywhere else you can just special order it at wally world (stie to store)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3138476

7. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

ditto on a Savage .308

Savage = great guns out of the box, great triggers, accurate, and reasonably priced

308 = best all-around rifle caliber, lots of cheap surplus ammo available, great ballistics and trajectories, accurate.