help me pick an abit motherboard

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChillerTwist, Jun 10, 2004.

1. ChillerTwist

ChillerTwist New Member

I want to go with an Abit nforce2 chipset board, and the two i am torn between are the AN7 and the NF7.

Info for NF7: click me
    Info for AN7: click me

The basic difference between the two I find is the SATA150. The AN7 has it, and the NF7 does not. Click here for comparison

Now my dilema is how important the SATA will be in the future when it comes to upgrading and when SATA harddrives become much more common, the standard even. Also any other differences, pros and cons and stuff like that you guys can point out, and recommend me one would be great.

Thanks OT :wavey:

P.S. i am going to run a barton 2500+ in it

2. diranged

diranged New Member

For too many reasons to explain, you should really make the jump to an Athlon64 -- even if its only a 2800+ chip.

3. MightyQ

MightyQ Guest

SATA will eventually replace Parallel ATA. SATA is definately faster and easier to install too. Another difference I see between the 2 boards is that, AN7 has digital audio. If you got a receiver or speakers that support S/PDIF, go this route! the sound clarity is huge difference.

AN7 would be a much better choice considering not much of a price difference. I'm currently running the AN7 Mobo, and it's one of the best i've tried.

4. jedimasterELMO

jedimasterELMO Beer, boards, and Android

5. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

The other difference between the NF7 line and the AN7 is the AN7 has onboard firewire, so if that is important to you, then buy the AN7 since the cost difference is small. It sounds like the AN7 might support higher FSB speeds, which might help in overclocking if you were interested in something like that...

6. Meat0r

Meat0r New Member

If you're staying on the 32-bit platform then go for the NF7-S 2.0. It's by far the best Socket A motherboard and since 64-bit is coming in with full force I don't think any manufacturer out there will ever beat it.

Superb board.

7. Midknightster

Midknightster New Member

I have the Abit NF7-S and it ROCKS!!!! I have OC'ed my 2500+ to a 3200+.
    Using Samsung PC3200 512MB @ a FSB of 200 x 11 multipler.

8. dark_preacher

dark_preacher New Member

nf7-s revison 2.0

the an7 is crap.