Help me pick a TV/Monitor :o

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Strife, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Strife

Strife Active Member

I've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 LCD's based on reviews and price. I'm looking for a 26" since I don't want it to be too big since it's a 2nd monitor for my comp as well.

Panasonic which has gotten really good reviews and seems like it has good speakers and a contrast ratio compared to other 26", price is $550 though:
    http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228931028&sr=1-1#

Vizio from Dell, it's only $399 with free shipping, although there is tax (I believe Amazon doesn't charge tax?). Obviously not as nice as the Panasonic but most reviews say its the best one for the price and still has good picture:
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...x?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2115534#Overview

Also will both of these TVs support a high enough resolution to use as a computer monitor? Or if anyone has a better suggestion I'm open, not really looking to pay anything more then the Panasonic though.

2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

If you are using it as a computer monitor get a 1080p, don't even bother with a 720.

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

4. Strife

Strife Active Member

5. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

I use the vizio as a monitor for my server and it works great. WOW looks really good on it and most webstuff works well. sitting farther than 5feet away makes it hard to read sometimes but that's a size problem not an issue with the screen. Only issue I have is there is some inconsistancy with the back lighting. I have found some bright spots and some dark spots but they are not that noticable that it's a deal breaker.

6. Strife

Strife Active Member

I ended up getting the $409 Samsung 24" one from Newegg that was linked. Seemed like a good price and I was looking for 24" anyways, so 2" isn't that big of a deal to me.

Thanks though, I haven't seen the difference between a 720 and 1080 for monitors but based on what the two other people said it sounded like I needed higher resolution if I was going to use it as a T.V. and 2nd monitor :o

7. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

The 720 and 1080 are horizontal lines, so do you want your max resolution to be 1280x720 or 1980x1080....

(At least that's what I think the resolutions are... I may be off a little and don't feel like looking it up)