Help me pick a laptop..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StuDLei, Aug 20, 2008.

1. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

Im just returning from Iraq and Ive got some money to blow. Basically all I really want is something that can take full advantge of being albe to surf the internet with my internet connection of 15mbs(d/l). I really dont know much about laptops and dont know if theres anything in the computer itself that helps determine how fast or slow pages load. Wont really use it for anything else but surfing the web and itunes and a few pics...no gaming although something tells me I should still get something with a decent video card?Thanks.

2. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

what is your budget?
    what size screen do you want?
    what is your planned usage? do you plan on just using this on your lap at home or are you looking to carry it with you various places?

i like my Dell 1520, though they don't make them with discrete graphics anymore. i think it is heavy though, so i wouldn't have gotten it if i was going to carry it around a lot.

EDIT: that wasn't as a recommendation, but was more just to say that i bought mine for specific reasons that may not be appropriate to you.

3. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I've been looking into buying a laptop as well. To be honest, I find 15.4" screen-sized laptops too big/heavy. Then again, I also have an amazing desktop PC with a large monitor at home so I'm buying a laptop for internet browsing, e-mail, and programming.

I've heard for a 13.3", the Dell M1330 is quite awesome. It depends on what your needs are, how big you want it, and your price range.

4. StuDLei

I should note that I dont give a shit how much it weighs and I dont want a mac. Screen must be 15" or better.. Ill spend whatever.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

a lot of people here like lenovo, but the discrete graphics they have are the business versions which aren't great for gaming supposedly. the dell xps seems decent to me. i think the inspiron is fine for most of your usage, but you can't get discrete graphics the last i checked.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

eeePC 901 w/the 20GB flash disk. :naughty:

7. StuDLei

Guys you're not speaking my language!! I don't know what discrete graphics are, or a 20gb flash disk for that matter. Whats the concensus on 64 bit vista?

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

sorry, discrete graphics means it has a dedicated video card vs integrated. integrated video cards suck for games though for web browsing and such they are ok.

20Gb is not a lot of space for your hard drive. flash is the latest storage technology that behaves like a regular drive, but can be much faster.

9. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

No, not what you want.

Watch your local OfficeDepot / Best Buy / OfficeMax / Circuit City ads for a Gateway with a T5550 processor, 3+ GB RAM, Vista Home Premium, 15.4" screen, and at least a 250GB hard drive. There is one at one or more of those places each month for $600-700. Also watch for HP's.

If you want to spend more than get a Lenovo. It will be better but based on your intended use for it you won't see much of a difference if any.

A descrete graphics card would be a plus but if you aren't planning on playing the latest games it isn't too big of an issue.

In laymans terms, Vista 64-Bit means you can have more than 3.XGB of RAM. Based on your needs it is not necessary and shouldn't really affect your decision. If there is a good deal on a laptop you see and it has 64-bit, good, if not then it shouldn't matter.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

At this point in time, I'd say to get a 64-bit operating system because all the hardware has been 64-bit for years and most devices made since 64-bit hit the market have 64-bit software now, so there shouldn't be any compatibility problems. As for what 64-bit actually does, there are plenty of people who can bore you with the details and/or send you to Wikipedia, but the bottom line is you won't notice much difference except that 32-bit will start to fade out of use in the next few years. No sense buying new stuff that's obsolete before you take it out of the box.

11. StuDLei

Okay thanks guys! I didn't know a dedicated video card was the same thing as discrete graphics. I think I am gonna go for 64 bit w/ 4 gigs of Ram. Found some with that in the 850 price range. any manufacturer preferences or anything against Gateway??

12. awns729

awns729 New Member

Ihave a refurb gateway. So do lots of people I know. They're cheap for the price, but not hte best quality. Hopefully you won't have problems, as most people don't (even though I did).

I would go for it, though. $850 is a bit high. Look on www.tigerdirect.com and check out my thread "friend needs a laptop, here's what I told him" for some deals on gateways.

13. StuDLei

hey guys whats up? I ended up getting a hp dv7-1020us I believe is the model from newegg.com. It was between that and one other model, so Im not completely sure if thats the right number or not. Anyways the specs are T8400 2.0ghz processor.. dual 160 5400rpm hard drives, nvida 9600gt card, 4 gigs ram, blu ray, tv tuner, etc. I appreciate yalls help. Got the best deal I could find online, no tax either. Should be here tommorow. Thanks again.