help me pick a laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Pringles, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I'm a computer nerd, but at am new to laptops.

wants:
    -decent processor
    -20"+ widescreen for watching movies(main purpose)
    -two harddrives but one will work so long as it's 60gig+
    -decent GFX to play wc3,steam
    -battery life I want to be long so possible spot for expansion for another battery
    -weight is not a consideration
    -support from some company IE dell or something is nice for if something fails and they instantly replace it.

Price Range 2-3k

Can anyone help me on my path?

Thanks,

Pringles

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

NEVER gonna find it.

17" widescreen is gonna be the biggest you find. dual hdds is very hard to find, and usualy requires you to lose the optical drive. One 100GB drive is easy, tho.

You're never gonna find something with that screen.

3. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

do you plan on keeping this laptop at home most of the time? 20" screen is huge, I do not know of any but I can imagine it would be pretty cumbersome to carry around everywhere. check out the dells xps models. dell has always had excellent service for businesses but i'm not to sure about home users.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

meh, I've found them to be unreliable machines backed by a company with horrible consumer support. On top of it all, even when they do work, performance doesn't meet my expectations given the specs.

5. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

We must be fortunately spoiled. I have had nothing but high regard for Dell and their service. Then again we do have a direct contact for all of our technical needs and 3hr 24/7 support on our servers. As far as performance is concerned it is nothing to brag about but for about $500-$700 for some basic systems they are really good. We have been using Dell for close the 10 years now. I have heard horry stories though.

6. Pringles

Pringles New Member

What are some other high end laptops. I know of the XPS but are there other companies that compete with the XPS?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

8. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

Jollyogre do you work for asus? All i see is you flaming dell in every thread, and saying how much asus rules. My buddy had an asus... it overheated and melted after 3 months of use. he got a replacement, sold it, and got a dell. No problems, 6 months and counting.

Back to the thread.... 20" screen.... nothing like that exists. There was some laptop that had a 19" screen, it was massive. 15+lb.

If weight is not an issue... get a desktop.

9. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, I have never worked for Asus.

What model did your friend have? They are EASILY in the top 3. They tie Lenovo for #1 PC notebook manufacturer. Apple is #3, but that's somewhat of a misnomer because they contract out for their products. Asus is the company that makes the macbook and ipod :mamoru:

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dell, like many companies, sells better equipment and preferential treatment to other businesses because businesses, unlike consumers, don't usually switch brands once they're comfortable.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

ASUS makes the MacBook? Sweet jesus, I knew there was a reason I liked that company.

13. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

20.1" screen - XPS M2010
    http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/xpsnb_m2010?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Personally anything larger then 15" should be considered a desktop because I just don't like screens larger then that to carry around. Then again it depends on what you want to use it for. Also has an integrated webcam like that fruit company. ;)

14. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

:ugh: @ this thread

dell has a 24% failure rate on their notebooks... that means basically 1/4 of the notebooks are going to fail...

so when someone asks about what kind of notebook to get a ton of people start dell crapping its probably for a good reason. and for the record i don't care if you have owned a dell and it never had a problem...

that being said if someone posts and asks for what kind of laptop to get I am going to say asus, IBM/leveno, apple, possibly some botique brands and if they really dont care about quality HP... but I and most other people who know about computers aren't going to recommend a cracker jack prize notebook from dell...

/rant

15. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I'm set on a 17 inch now. But who makes the best screens other than VIAO's b/c when someone sees a VIAO there first instinct is to steal it and we know sony marks those up way to much. I'm looking between Dell and HP and right now HP is giving me more for less. Are there screen qualities noticeable?

Not that you guys care, but dell offers hardware help on any of their laptops within 24 hours of a call. I'm assuming they will offer this at SLO and thats why I'm leaning towards them. All PC's will break that you can't stop so might as well get some support for when they do...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You'd be stupid to get a dell or hp.

ASUS makes what you want.

17. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

If the Dell looks good then get it, this forum is full of sackriders, get what looks good to you. I have a I9300 for about 5 months and love it, everyone else i know loves theirs as well. Price wise, you are not going to beat a dell for a gaming machine.

18. Pringles

Pringles New Member

I'm actually smart for not listening to the arrogant clown that keeps shouting out information of no productive use and using no evidence with his "facts."

ya thats probably the route. Just gotta confirm they have the 24 hour support I've heard of in my college so I can use it.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Apple is the best design house on planet earth. Who actually assembles the products is a minor detail as long as quality components are used. And I've never heard anyone say that Apple didn't use quality.

You sound like you want a 17" MacBook Pro but just don't know it yet.

20. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

24% within what time period? DOA? 1 year? 5 years? That's a meaningless number without some context.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

1 year

22. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

link? Not the one that leads into your ass.

23. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

:hsugh: I think he did mention that he wants to play some games on it.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it was posted here a few months back. Was done by some independent source (thought it was CNet, tho I could be wrong on that).

25. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Get with the times, pal. A MacBook can play games.