GUN Help me out

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spoofy, Apr 13, 2006.

1. spoofy

spoofy Chemically Enhanced

my girlfriends father died. While cleaning out his house we found his gun. He is a old military guy. I *think* the gun is a Beretta 96. The gun itself doesnt say 92/96 but I found a receipt for the bullets that said Buretta 96 UMC ammo. My girlfriend wants to keep the gun cause she has always wanted a handgun. However neither of us know how to use it. I did grow up around shotguns/rifles and I have a few. But I'm new to handguns

Anyway.. few things.. there are like 3 clips and bags and bags of ammo. One of the clips is in the gun AND the safty is off (its still in the case). So I am going to presume its loaded. The safety and unloading looks no different then any other gun I've used. However does anyone know where I can find a manual online for the 96? I only see the 92.

With that in mind anyone know where I can get info on texas handgun laws and info on getting licensed? Also do we have to register the gun or something now that it has changed owners?

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

The ammo was marked "beretta 96"?

was it written on there, or a sticker or something? because a Beretta 96 just uses .40 S&W ammo..

this is a Beretta 96

[​IMG]

3. spoofy

yeah it was hand written on the receipt ..and thats the gun.. or at least it looks the same.

4. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

contact your local PD for transfer procedure

5. black96gtvert

black96gtvert "Is that goal regulation size or what!" -Happy Gil

True do that asap.

also to clear it just realease the mag with that circle button then pull the slide back and eject the case. clear it a couple times to be safe and make sure the safety is on

6. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

They don't do registration in Texas do they? If not, no paperwork for "transfer" needed.

7. mrbill

mrbill New Member

8. spoofy

So you can get a license to have a gun...but not to have it concealed? I thought there was only 1 license and that allowed for you to carry it concealed.

edit: nevermind i misread that. If no license is needed.. what if I'm driving to the shooting range and get pulled over?

9. itchiban

itchiban New Member

http://www.packing.org/

Read up on it. States vary on transport.

10. spoofy

11. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Oh one other thing. I know that she (and you) might have a sentimental attachment to the gun. I think I would too. But I wouldn't limit myself to keeping a gun like that for defense. If you are both new to guns, .40 isn't always the best starting round. And not to be sexist, but in my (limited) experience females don't take to full size guns that well. Once you both shoot it you might have a different opinion of it, but remember that there are many other options availible to you.

Good luck.

12. mrbill

mrbill New Member

just keep it cased up and unloaded. keep all ammo in a separate container. if your going in a car and have a trunk, put it in there.

13. mrbill

mrbill New Member

you can carry it concealed and loaded in your car if you are "travelling". but, just going to the range(unless it's really far, and requires you to cross a few county lines) i doubt will constitute travelling. best bet is to put it in it's case, unload the mags and keep mags and ammo seperate from the gun case and out of arm's reach and you should be just fine. texas is one of the more lax states when it come to gun laws.