MIL Help me out barracks crew!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Socrates, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Socrates

Socrates New Member

If some of you don't know, i'll say it again.

I am currently on a 11 month deployment to Iraq, the first four months being iloc. My unit is leaving sometime between now and the end of September. I have an inherited UNCURABLE skin disease on my feet (paintballer, my brother, has it too :mamoru: ) called Plantars Hyperkeratosis. My feet getting hot and sweaty inside my boots for so long made it get really bad, causing it to crack open and bleed from a lot of different places. The batallion medical officer decided that I am combat ineffective and said I had no business being a Marine, and that they were going to send me back to my home unit (i'm a reservist) where I would probably be discharged. The skin disease will never go away, and as long as I wear boots for very long, it will get bad. I had problems in boot camp and SOI, but never this bad.

I am not here to argue his decision. Yeah, I wasted the past 4 months of my life, and now I won't get to be a war veteran, but I got over that and now i'm moving on. I'm used to getting screwed over by the military now.

One of two things will happen now. Either I will get stuck in rear-party in Camp Pendleton, where my job is to take care of wounded Marines who come back, OR, I will get sent home and get discharged.

I love my fellow Marines to death, but there are plenty of Marines who are broken (just broken bones, they will heal) who can take care of them just fine. I don't want to sit in Camp Pendleton on libo for 8 months spending money. I'd rather be home starting my life again.

I have heard two different stories. One, they own me for a year and will use me all they can, and will discharge me AFTER the deployment is over when I go home. The other story I heard, which I believe, is that I should be sent home right away since I will be getting discharged. The Marine Corps wouldn't want to shout out the $2400 a month i'm making for me to sit on my ass on libo.

My old vehicle commander, a Corporal, who is also a politician in the civilian world and planning on running for Congress, said that if I call my congressman back in Missouri, that I could be home in 24 hours. He said the congressman would call the commanding general of my division and make shit happen.

What are my options? What are my rights?

2. SupraTFassa

SupraTFassa New Member

Im not sure what rights you have from the military or the marines since Im AF but that idea is a BAD one. Ive seen it a few times and it never ends well. :nono:

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

It is also known as "the nuclear option". But it absolutely works. Ever single time it is used.

My dad used it while he was in the Navy. After his congressman got involved in the issue, it was resolved. Permamently. He did get some heat from his chain of command, but since he had already attempted to go through the proper routes before he pulled his Congressman into it, there was no serious repercussions. He went another 10 years with the Navy until he retired at the 30 year mark.

My advice: Use your CoC first. If that isn't working, inform your CoC that you will need to try another route. After you have informed them that you are stepping outside of the CoC, then either contact your IG or your Congressman.

BUT ABOVE ALL: Know exactly what you want from whoever you contact. Have a very clear/short/professional explanation for why your CoC can't/won't help, and a very clear/short/professional explanation for what you want them to do about it.

4. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

The problem with Nuclear Options is that they tend to destroy friend and foe alike in the kill zone.

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

very true. But since he's looking to get out anyway it looks like a viable option - as long as he doesn't mind the mushroom cloud behind him.

6. djbuzzfuzz

djbuzzfuzz OT Supporter

yer going straight to supply for a few months!

7. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

I thought you said you were getting discharged because of that?

8. Socrates

Socrates New Member

That is what I was told by my Company First Sergeant.

The tricky part that I forgot to mention was how our unit is set up. I am only attached to the unit I am deploying with. It is not my home unit.

The First Sergeant of the unit i'm deploying with said "You'll be sent home and discharged, since the Marine Corps can't use you." A few days later, he said i'm going to Camp Pendleton first, where they may or may not keep me around as rear party.

9. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

You will most likely get discharged. I truly doubt they will put you on that duty you mentioned since you will have to wear boots since it is part of the Uniform of the Marines in Pendleton.

Worse comes to worse, you can always play out your disease and make it seem worse than it is. That way they will want to boot you.