SRS Help me meet people

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Keith Moons Liver, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Keith Moons Liver

Keith Moons Liver Active Member

I'm 17, have no drivers license. I've been away from home for 3 years to boardin schools, rarely coming home and not keeping in touch with my friends here. I've changed so much anyway I don't think I would hang out with them anyway. My girlfriend lives several hours away because she is from school, I don't really have any friends from school that live near enough to justify seeing them. So I have a job but I don't meet any people at it, and the rest of the day I have nothing to do. So I mainly just run to stay in shape and listen to music, both to keep from getting too depressed. I'm not bad looking and I stay relatively fit, but I'm really quiet and introverted; not good at going out and making friends anyway. So I don't really know where to go to meet people, and it doesn't help I don't have a drivers license (in about a months I'll be 18 and be able to get it). Help.

2. Bleed

Bleed New Member

find something you are interested in and find other people who have the same interests. um, hate to use my parents as an example, but they take dancing lessons and they are in hiking clubs. they have friends they met through there and they hang out with them occassionally.

how about going to the next OT meet that is in your area? or how about arranging one if there isn't one? people always seem to be up for local meets.

3. Keith Moons Liver

Well I'm really not that busy, I just try to do a little bit of things to keep from getting too depressed. What should I do at the bookstore? My mom drives me to work :hs:

4. AstroGirl

AstroGirl If I don't respond it's because I have severe ADD

READ!! LOL, no seriously. Grab a few books that interest you. They should have a coffee shop there. Stack the books on the table and grab a cup of joe, look through the books. I could get lost in a bookstore for HOURS. That way someone may not just be interested for looks, they could be interested in your MIND... imagine that :)

EDIT: I don't mean to come off sarcastic, I am just a lil fiesty today ;)

5. Keith Moons Liver

I'm not sure how many people are going to come up to me in a bookstore, but I like books anyway so maybe I'll try that :o

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

My advice is to stay within the boundries of your inner circle, you can only go so far and then you reached your limit.

7. johan

johan Active Member

How many people will come up to you in a bookstore? Well in your present situation...how about zero?

Bookstores aren't meant for easy public interaction. I mean people don't go there expressly to meet other people.

So the people who can easily work their magic in a bookstore, are those naturally social animals who can easily approach, talk and joke with other people no matter where they are. They could be in a library, a surgical theatre, outside the morgue and still manage to do the pickup.

Some guys could probably get the # of the blonde nurse who's just come to hand your newborn baby into your arms. You know the type.

Try to get involved in social activities first. It'll be easier to talk to someone because it's a natural part of the activity.

Take tennis lessons. Mixed doubles practice. You'll be assigned a partner.
    Play soccer. It's a team sport. Get to know the other team members.

8. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Johan's right...if you're really dead set on trying to develop new acquaintences, then you have to put yourself in situations that encourage or even forces this behavior.

Outdoor activities like running or hiking groups, kayaking, team sports, etc. engages you with other people. If you're more into tamer things, I've seen common interest groups down at bookstores and such were people sit around and read to each other.

9. Keith Moons Liver

I'm not sure where to find these clubs or groups but I'll look into it...

10. Keith Moons Liver

Damn there are a couple basketball leagues that would have been fun to know about a month ago :hs:

11. AstroGirl

AstroGirl If I don't respond it's because I have severe ADD

Acytually I have gotten hit on quite a bit in bookstores :) But I do look at some taboo books. I am wiccan so I read up a lot at Barnes and Noble before buying because some of the books out there are crap and not worth the money, so I get a lot of inquiring minds off of that. But just get things that interest you :)

12. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

get on myspace. find a local group and message everyone there, even the guys.

13. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

join a sport or get a job. team sports would be a great way to get buddies. and getting a job where lots of other people your age is by far the easiest way to meet new people.

bookstore is a hard sell. im pretty social but its still hard meeting people in a bookstore. people are there to grab a book and get out and putting them at ease is tricky.

14. Keith Moons Liver

Well there's nothing for my town on myspace, i already have a job with no people, most of the sports rec leagues are already done or underway. Once my surgery heals I'm going to hang out at the gym and try to play some pickup games.

15. eat me

eat me New Member

i'm on the same boat...

just got a decent job, and know some acquaintances, but have no close friends. feel so lonely at times, i mean most of the times... and i get emotionally attatched to someone easily... only to get heartbroken soon later. :wtc:

16. Keith Moons Liver

:hug: nobody on ot knows how to help us :wtc:

17. Gandin

Gandin New Member

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that old friends are no longer still your friends. I know a guy who went away to a Hockey school about 3 years ago. We don't hang out now, but I wish we did. We WERE great friends, and although it may be somewhat awkward at first, I'd really like to see him again, hang out... do whatever. Maybe this is simple personal experience and doesn't apply to your situation at all, but I wouldn't rule it out.

The beach is a great place to meet people. Go to local shows if you are really into music. Sometimes the music is actually decent and there are always tons of people there that simply want to socialize.