GUN Help me make up my mind OT. AK or pimping out a Ruger 10/22 ?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by lugoismad, Jan 9, 2007.

1. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I love going to the range and blasting targets down range. Problem is, I'm a broke college student.

I have a friend willing to sell me a WASR GP-10 Hicap for 250$ with 3 mags. I'd love to get it, but my only thought is, how much will I be paying out in ammo prices. 1000 rounds costs over $150, and if I want to save decent money, I have to buy in bulk.

Which, leads me to my thought. I have about 200$ saved so far. And that only covers the gun, I still have to drive about 3 hours each way to get it, plus order ammo.

I have a Ruger 10/22 I bought last summer that I love shooting. I'm thinking about buying that 6x-20x Barska Scope, a nice stock and a bull barrel for it. I also need to get some 30 round mags, and maybe a trigger job. That'd put me right in the 200$ range.

I mean, AK's are always going to be around, right? Yeah, they may go up in price, but they'll still be here.

Which would you do?

Edit: And its not like I don't have other rifles. I own a Mosin-Nagant M44, a 9mm carbine, and a shotgun. I have plenty of powerful stuff, but the AK draw is strong.

2. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

as a college student on a budget aside from all the guns I have bought and inherited I recently bought a 22 just so that I can go to the range and shot and shoot and not go broke, I think I shot 2.5 hours the other day and only went through one 550 round brick for ~9 bucks.

In ammo costs alone you will save ~140 bucks after the first 1k rounds you put through the gun. From a money point of view I would say the 10/22 is the logical one. From a I love guns that have more kick blah blah blah I would go AK.

3. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Your probably right. I oughta stick with the 10/22 until I graduate. 250$ for a WASR GP is just such an awsome deal though, and from the way things are looking, Hi Cap AKs will not be falling in price, and may very well be going through the roof soon. Oh well. If something happens in '08, its not like I'll be able to afford to shoot it because the ammo prices will go way up too. As it is, I'd be shelling out $100 or so every time I go to the range just on ammo for that one gun. 30 round mags in a semi auto are going to go FAST I'm sure.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd probably opt for the AK never know when a ban my suddenly come up and prices shoot up. Then slowly work on the 10/22.

5. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

If you are broke, cant beat ammo prices of .22

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Don't feel like you have to spend that money, I'd encourage you to buy a few bricks of .22 and shoot it while you save for the wasr. Realistically I dont think you're going to go through 500 rounds every time you go to the range with it. Personally I'd go through 100-200 and then switch to another gun for a while.

7. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I have bought all of my guns while a college student: a pair of AR receivers, an AK receiver and parts kit, a savage 93R17-F and scope, and a mosin 91/30

...maybe that is why I am broke :big grin:

8. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Yeah, AK availability is questionable. 10/22 parts availability not so much. Find a way to save more money. :o

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I would go for the AK because of all the reasons stated earlier, but the 22 is the "logical" choice.

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As I read it he's already got the 10/22 and wants to modify it.

11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

oh! screw that then. AK is the clear choice.

12. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

buy a Mosin from Big5, and get a shit load of ammo for cheaper than the AK. Then you too could get a package in the mail with this in it:

[​IMG]

13. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I already own a Mosin.

I'm thinking instead of going with an AK like every other gun enthusiast, making getting a ROMAK. Its a Squad marksman weapon that looks alot like an AK, takes 10 round mags (so stands no chance of being banned), and fires the 54R round. Its big, bad, and cheap to shoot.

[​IMG]

Plus the ammo is cheap and will be staying cheap.

Problem is, their about 600$ to start with.

14. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Am I the only person on here that really doesn't want an AK? :o

15. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I'm sure there are others. I'm the same way with ARs. I have no desire for an AR at all. :dunno:

16. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I have no desire for an AR. Ammo is too expensive, and its just a big .22 anyways. The bullet is only a few grains heavier than what my 10/22 can shoot, I have no real desire to own one.

The AK on the other hand is a .308 diameter bullet and a bit higher power behind it. Its a cool rifle, and great design.

17. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

i tried an ar and promptly sold it. i cant stand them. however, i could own lots of ak's. havent found any locally though at a good price, and i dont wnat to order online again.

18. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

i vote for ROMAK... problem is finding one

19. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Well I'm selling my .920, 18 inch stainless GM barrel, Boyd's thumbhole stock and 6.5x20 barska scope if you want to talk. :naughty:

But honestly, I'd go for the .22 because being broke, in college and a shooter isn't a good combo. I've been there. You might have more "fun" shooting a bigger round, but if you already have a mosin that should take care of the boom factor.

20. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Get the ROMAK-3/PSL. Dont get the short version though, those were never actually designed for the military, it is just a gimik to sell them.

21. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'd go AK. I'm in college and I've just worked my ass off pretty much every day I'm not at school, during the summers and breaks and whatnot. I've got a 10/22 that I enjoy shooting but the AK definitely is more fun. Just buy the AK and slowly upgrade your 10/22. IF you've already got a bull barrel and decent stock, throw in a VQ hammer and all that good stuff, it's all pretty cheap.

22. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Well, after putting some thought into it, I think I'm just going to stick with my 10/22.

My reasoning for the AK was "What if the world ends/zombies/evil goverment takeover/blah blah blah". In that case I own a 9mm Carbine, and in a SHTF situation, it is lighter, shorter, and uses a more commonly found (in the US atleast) cartridge that fires from its 16" barrel with .357 velocities. Not as great as a 7.62x39, but much cheaper.

Being poor, jobless, and in college, I think I'm going to stick with playing with my .22 and M44

Itchiban, you have a PM.

23. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Get an AK while you can, you can build a 10/22 up any time.

24. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Replied...I think. OT is being gay and timing out so if you didn't get the message let me know. Jeez it was long too.

25. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'd like one for a collectors piece, but I'm certainly not in love with them.

I'm actually much more impressed with the terminal ballistics of the .223 rounds available today than I am 7.62x39. Diameter doesn't begin to tell the story.

Have you considered an SKS? half the price of the ak for an unused one and you get the cartridge you like?