Help me make this network faster

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by YUENGLING, Feb 6, 2004.

1. YUENGLING

YUENGLING New Member

Hi guys I'm having trouble getting my network up from 10Mbs to 100Mbs. here's what i have. 2 12port 10/100 switches 1 5port 10/100 switch. 12 workstations with 10/100 NIC's 1 Hp printer with jet direct (not sure if thats 10 or 100) and a server farm of 5 servers. RH Linux, Netware 4.11, Netware 5, and 2 NT servers. I KNOW the Netware 4 server only speaks @10Mbs. I also have a few hubs laying around. And i have another computer called "the edge" acting as my gateway. My question for you is... what is the best way to get my network up to 100Mbs and at the same time minimizing my collisions. These damn servers Brodcast all day long....
    Thanks for your help

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I would make one crossover cable and hook your 2 12 port switches together.

Then you will have 22 ports capable of 100mb connections, which is more than you need.

3. YUENGLING

YUENGLING New Member

There are two port on the back of the switches that, depending on which way i have button pressed it will do the cross over for me. I did have the 2 switches connected and all the computers and servers pluged in. and i was still at 10Mbs and i was constantly getting collisions ALL thw time. Would my entire network be slolwed down to 10 Mbs if 2 of the nodes(the older Novell and possibly the printer) could only speak @ 10Mbs? Thanks again.

4. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

forget the hubs - just use switches. eliminate every protocol you don't need from the workstations (if you are using netware, do you really need netbios?). why so many servers? you should be able to consolidate some of those.

why don't you run the netware servers at 100Mb?

5. YUENGLING

YUENGLING New Member

Not sure why we are running so many different servers. i just started this project. I'm in the process of trying to consolidate them. I could run the netware at 100 but i have to replace it's nic.

thanks for the replies. I agree, i'm not going to use any of those stupid hubs.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I'd imagine that your cables aren't designed for 10 Mbits. If you punch them down 1-8, they'll work at 10 Mbits. It's only when you punch them down properly that you'll achieve 100. You won't slow down your whole network with a combination BTW - and most switches will have an indicator for each port.