help me lose weight.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Sean6293, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

i'm a 26yr/old male, 69" tall. i currently weigh 245. my goal weight is under 200 and my super goal weight is 185. i've done low carb diets in the past and they worked very well for me (i used to be almost 280) but i'm just too busy lately to keep up with that sort of diet, plus i'm sure its not so healthy for me in the long run. I'm trying to learn what to eat and how many calories i need. I tried eating under 2000 calories a day for two weeks and i didn't lose anything (then i ate a cheeseburger and gained two lbs) I go to the gym at least twice a week and do about an hour of fat burn on the cardio machines (try to get my heart rate between 140-150) and i do some light resistance training (though i don't really know what i should be doing, i use the machines and try to do two sets of 15 reps each)

anyway, i'm really dedicated to this and i really want to see some results. I'm planning on getting married in under a year and i want to be happy with my self image by then so any advice you guys can help me with would be greatly appreciated.

2. entropy138

entropy138 OT Supporter

All the info you could want about what to eat http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3194630

All the info you could want about resistance training
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2920566

It can't really be spoon fed any better to you than those two threads. If you don't have time for the body part split you can google Bill Starr 5x5 or Starting Strength wiki. Both are programs that focus more on a 3 day full body workout and are effective if you put in the time and effort.

You have to decide though if you are really dedicated to this, or if you don't have time because without the dedicating the time you won't see the results or keep your motivation up.

3. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

i'm going to check out those threads.

as far as dedication, i'm ready to go. problem is I go to school full time and work nights full time. so its not always so easy to get to the gym. I try to go whenever i can, and I also try to get some swim time in at the pool at school when i have off from work, but thats maybe once a week. I'd really like my diet to be the driving factor to my weight loss :hs:

4. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

i'd really like to go back to a low carb approach simply because i know it works for me and makes me lose weight without spending a lot of time at the gym, however my real goal here is to learn to lead a healthy lifestyle. Its something I really desire and am willing to work towards, and eating nothing but chicken isn't really what i want to do for the rest of my life.

5. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

I call bullshit... all i hear is excuses in your posts. You want to eat healthy but are too lazy to keep up with a diet? I hate hearing people say shit like this. You really are what you eat and it is a lifestyle to be healthy and you obviously arent ready for that lifestyle.

boo hoo you have a job and go to school so you cant make time to go to the gym for 1 hour 3 times a week?.... 2 years ago I was working 2 full time jobs and a part time job, 1 of the full time was very physical and the other was high stress because of how large of a market I was in charge of running. Because of how many hours I worked every Thurs - Sat I only got maybe 1 hour sleep in the back of my car before going to my next job and I still made time to spend 2 hours at the gym 4 days a week. Obviously Im more motivated than you but seriously get your priorities straight. if you dont want to be fat and die at 50 from heart disease go make time to eat right and go to the fucking gym.

6. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

uhh wtf? did you even bother to read any of my posts?

7. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

heres my average day, you tell me where i'm being a stupid fatass:

8:30am: wake up, have 8oz glass of OJ, fat free yogurt & cereal bar for breakfast.

9:30am-3pm: school, straight through.
    3:00pm - lunch, usually a cold cut (try to get a good portion of meat for the protein. always ham or turkey)sandwich on light whole wheat bread with lettuce tomato onion and other veggies (subway style, often made at home though). usually have something for a side either a mixed green salad with italian (60cal per 1oz) dressing with no crutons and no cheese (~140cals)
    4:00: work as a waiter from 4-? usually around 10pm.
    10pm: eat something light. usually some grilled chicken or a small bit of beef or pork with a side of asparagus.
    12:00am: bed.
    repeat.

8. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

i admit I skimmed through it after reading the first few sentences and started to rant cause I just got into this shit with somebody today.

9. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

i'm wondering if maybe i'm not eating enough? calculators say i should eat 2300 cals for fat loss and just under 2000 for extreme fat loss. well for the last two weeks I ate under 2000 cals a day and didn't lose a single pound, and thats mixed with my exercise at least once a week.

should i be eating more? is calories in/calories out really the bottom line or should i go back to watching carbs more intently? (these low calorie diets seem very high in carbs)

10. knight42

knight42 OT Supporter

ok... Your breakfast sucks... you dont eat anything for the next 6.5 hours. Dont know macros of your sandwich. Then you dont eat for another 6 hours but at least that meal is decent.

I would say you must be starving all day. Everyone is going to be different for how they react to carbs so you should record everyday for a few weeks what you eat and know exactly your macros.

For now cal in/out is the bottom line just dont go crazy on the carbs, but as you get leaner you can learn to manipulate them but that is something Im still getting better at.

11. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

like i said, its hard to get meals when i have class for 6.5 hours straight then work 6 hours straight. i can eat snacks and things like 100 calorie packs and cereal bars, but i'm not sure thats the kind of nutrition i need (its what i do often)

as far as breakfast, i hate eggs, so i don't know what i should be eating.

12. convolutedmind

convolutedmind Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss e

Oatmeal + protein powder scoop is how I start the day when I'm being good.

Almonds are good snacks while you're at school.

13. Voltekker

Voltekker Active Member

Dont drink the juice it has all the sugars/ calories and doesnt have any of the fiber. I also didnt like eggs but I stopped being a pussy like you and made myself eat them. Now I kind of enjoy them.

14. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

you can do low carb for extended amount of time as long as you have some kind of refeed

15. The Great Deceiver

The Great Deceiver 21st Century Schizoid Man

16. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

Do some sort of light excerise when you wake up to get things going. You really need to do both diet changes and exercise to lose weight and keep it off.

I do a set of pullups and pushups as soon as i wake up to get the blood moving around. That takes all of 5 minutes and its easy to work into your morning routine.

For breakfast i have a syntha6 shake made with milk and a bowl of oatmeal or some peanut butter depending on if its a training day or not. I usually have a handful of almonds around 10 and thats something you could throw in your backpack or whatever and eat in between classes.

17. .::Rotten Apple::.

.::Rotten Apple::. OT Supporter

there's lots of healthy snacks you can have. fat free plain yogurt + chopped fruit is really good. i love fat free cottage cheese w/ pineapple too. bring a blender bottle with 2 scoops of whey and mix it with water in the middle of the day.

also, protein bars are easy to bring with you and can be found on the cheap. ibsyntheticcomesinhereandstartsrantingaboutsaturatedfatinallproteinbars

18. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

bring an apple/banana/granola bar or something healthy to snack on while youre in class so you dont gorge at 3pm

19. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

you blew it at the OJ. that's 100 calories of sugar that doesn't help at all. Have black coffee/tea, or water

lunch- ditch the bread, chop the sandwich ingredients into your mixed greens, ditch the dressing

"small bits" can add up. Get a $5 food scale, and measure your portions of meat.

going such long periods of time without food can be difficult. Carry around a sandwich bag full of almonds- keep in mind that each almond has 7 calories, so don't have more than a few at a time. When you feel hungry, have 3, and then wait 30 minutes before you have more.

start a food log, and enter stuff into it religiously. if you have to, make your meals for the week sunday afternoon (or whenever you have 2-3 hours free), so you can take the time to measure and log everything.

exercise is more effective than dieting. combine them both for supper effectiveness.
    if you can get away once a week, go for a long LONG run (or bike ride) I mean like 2-3 hours long. This kicks your metabolism into high gear all week.

20. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

Drink a gallon of water a day, get a half gallon jug. After drinking this much you're going to get ridiculously hungry all the time, fight the urge to gorge on anything large/delicious and intake some small healthy meals.

21. zackflavored

zackflavored KingShit's Post #55!

oh and this. you really cant expect to lose body fat through just eating, you can, but think about the time it took you to get fat, it will take that much time to get back to being skinny. Working out will cut that time in half.

22. Sean6293

Sean6293 OT Supporter

good advice here so far thanks.

as far as the juice, i juts felt like i wasn't getting enough calories each day so i thought i'd start with some juice, but i can cut it out no problem. the rest of breakfast is still a challange though. Should i ditch the fat free flavored yogurts like dannon light and fit like these:
    http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/dannon/light-and-fit-yogurt

also, how about fiber one bars. those are what i usually have in the morning, then i bring an apple with me to eat when i get a chance. isn't all that just more carbs/sugar though?

almonds are okay, i don't love them, but don't hate them either. i have a 5lb box of sunkist almonds that i bought when i was low carbing as almonds are perfect low carb food. i'll try to start munching on them again as snacks.

having a salad for lunch isn't a bad idea, but i'm not sure i'd be able to eat a whole plate of lettuce without any dressing. theres a "low cal" italian type dressing at the salad bar at school, think that is loaded with sugar/carbs? would a bit of oil and vinegar be bad?

PS i've owned a food scale for years and have a pretty good idea of what 4oz of meat looks like.

I do exercise, usually about 3 one hour sessions a week. i usually just do cardio though and maybe some light lifting. should i be doing a balance of both? mostly cardio? mostly lifting? how is swimming? like i said earlier, if i have a day where i'm at school and have the night off from work i'll go swim laps for an hour in the school pool. i do crawl stroke ranging from moderate to intense effort.

should i keep trying to hit the 2000 calories per day mark? is that too many? not enough?

23. synthetic

synthetic New Member

if you need to ask these basic questions it is because you did not read the stickies thoroughly ..... at this point of your laziness it would be advised you pay for a nutritionist and/or personal trainer .... i suppose people will lose their laziness once they have to pay... but begging people on a board for advice is not good sign already as you feel the need for people to hold your hand, and thus you are desitined to fail on achieving your goals.

24. entropy138

entropy138 OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl: have 3 almonds at a time because they have 7 calories each :ugh:

Oh and welcome to OTFN where you'll be told you aren't good enough fatty and to go cry in a cheeseburger & milkshake induced coma:wavey:

25. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

it's what I do. I've lost 12 pounds since January.
    granted, I have a desk job, which involves sitting for 8-12 hours/day; for me, every calorie counts. it's not about the 21 calories, so much as having the discipline to consider the 21 calories serious enough (that helps me avoid having like a 150 calorie snack)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.