Help me improve my system temperature....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deesee22, Apr 9, 2005.

1. deesee22

deesee22 Habs Crew OT Supporter

My computer is a Athlon 64 3400+. Right now im running idle 39C, and the case temp is 33C. Whenever I try to say backup a DVD though the temperature will just sky rocket to say 55-60, or even just overheat and shut down. I have a Thermaltake Silentboost Heatsink, and 5 casefans....2 80mm as my intakes on the front, 2 exhaust on the back, and 1 intake built into the side of the case (Chieftec Matrix). Im thinking I should readjust the fans, but how?

2. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Is that CPU temp only?

I'd say make sure you have enough thermal paste applied and correctly.

3. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

make sure the heatsink is seated correctly also.

4. Diggumz

Diggumz Devin da dude

Tt Products are also well known for being much more expensive then they preform, if you want to take some extreme mesasures that would deff improve your temps, lap the bottom of your Heatsink, and it also sounds like you have some fairly generic thermal paste because its heating up pretty quick. you might want to invest in some artic silver 5, and remeber any CPU with an integrated heatspreader (silver top) Do NOT cover the little hole on the top with thermal paste, this will cause suction and may pull your cpu out of the ZIF when you remove the heatsink.

5. deesee22

Thanks for the advice. This is really pissing me off, I reapplied thermal paste and it still gets really hot. I cant even burn a DVD anymore, I burnt like 50 in the past now I cant even get through 1. Im never buying AMD/Asus again

6. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

don't blame AMD cause of the thermal problem. like others have said you probably have generic paste and those don't transfer heat that well. that could even happen with an intel chip. could always look into liquid cooling. this one is really nice and stealthy: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=269882

7. deesee22

Im not blaming AMD, im just frustrated thats all. I did just order that kit though, is it hard to install and you think this will solve my problem?

8. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

should be easy to install. you will definately see some temp drops.

9. Phazel

Phazel Active Member

It is pretty warm in your case to start with. You have some kind of cooling problem with your case or your temp reading is wrong. It is 91F in your case that is WAY to hot imo. I have the 3500+ w/ silent boost also, my case temp is 22C(which is my house temp) and cpu is 34C. Work on your case first I would say.