Help me get my files back. :hs:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WiLL, May 30, 2005.

1. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

My laptop messed up. I dont really know what happened. I was using it and for some reason the fan stayed on and the bottom of the laptop got really hot. So I shut it down. When I rebooted, the monitor stayed blank. So I force shutdown. This time when it booted up, I got the message telling me my system files were corrupted or missing.

I pop in the XP disc hoping to do a repair (not in Repair Console). That option wasnt there, so I installed XP again. It retained all my files except for the Window files. So I created a new user name...blah blah. However, I go to Document and Settings and see my old user names on there. I can access all the user files EXCEPT for mine, which it is not giving me access to. That name was also the only one with admin privileges. I know all my old files are there because of the lack of room in the harddrive.

Is there anyway for me to get them? I would like them back. I just tried logging in as Administrator but still no luck.

Thanks in advance.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

right click the dir, go to props, take ownership, set permissions to everyone:allow, copy files.

3. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

Ok. I go into C:/Documents and Settings. I see my folder. I right click and see that the size is 0 bytes. :(

However, when I right click my hard drive. I see that I have 20gb of space still used. I tried to run a search for familiar files. And nothing shows up.

"right click the dir, go to props, take ownership, set permissions to everyone:allow, copy files."

You lost me at "take ownership" :o

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't have a windows machine in front of me, so you're gonna have to work off of my memory, lol.

In properties, there should be a security tab. There's an advanced button. Then there's an owner or ownership tab... there should be a button to take ownership.

5. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

When I go to the Properties for that folder, I dont get a Security tab. I see only General / Sharing / Customize.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

xp home or pro?

7. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

XP Pro Service Pack 2.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

try disabling simple file sharing (tools, folder options, view -- last option)