Help me get in shape

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by thewise1, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

I'm 5'10, 235lbs or so.

I would like to be around 180lbs, depending how things look as I get closer to that goal. I would also like to adjust my lifestyle so that I live like this permanently.

Current eating habits:
    I generally eat twice a day with a snack thrown in once in awhile. My lunch at work generally consists of either one chicken pot pie or 2 burritos (560 calories total for the burritos, I think 600 for the pot pie). When I go home I generally eat a home cooked meal, so I'm not exactly sure of the calorie count there. It's generally a red meat of some kind with a vegetable and maybe a potato. Sometimes I have a beer but I'm not a big beer drinker, just a social/bbq one.

I do drink a lot of diet coke though. On workdays the free diet coke at work owns me and I often will drink 6 cans a day or more. I realize this needs to be replaced with water. :hs:

On the weekends I often BBQ or sometimes will eat out. My wife and I are trying to save some money though so eating out will stop anyway.

Current activity level
    I'm a software developer, so during the day, not very much at all. I also work in my garage a lot or work on the yard a lot when I can, but it's just not much at all. This is probably the single biggest area for improvement :dunno:

Available equipment
    My company provides a free gym, so I've got the following available (IBwrongnames)
    • treadmill
    • elliptical
    • stairmaster
    • leg press
    • leg curl
    • bicep curl
    • bench press
    • lots of dumbbells
    • a couple of multifunction machines, dunno what they are called

I do have access to a free personal trainer on tuesdays, but it's not a gauranteed thing since you have to be first to sign up for the time slot and so on.

I can work out any/all days M-F (I'm going to schedule time in outlook at work). It's an hour drive from home to work, so if I'm at home all I have for now is some weights and a curling bar and eventually a treadmill or elliptical when we find one on craigslist.

What I need from you guys
    1. I need help coming up with a workout plan. Quite frankly I have no clue how to set up a healthy and maintainable one. I could go use the elliptical or work the guns ( :mamoru: ) but I'd rather set up something that's effective.
    2. I know I need to eat more smaller meals through the day because I'm pretty sure my calorie intake is low, but my timing and portioning is off. I would like feedback on this, though.

Thanks guys

2. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

stickies negro, stickies

3. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

yes, I read them

4. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

stop eating as much as you do currently

and start christophers routine. (in the archives)

if you don't know what some exercises are www.exrx.net

5. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

How much less should I eat?

The basic newb guide to fat loss says 11-12 times your bodyweight in calories. 235 * 11 = 2585 calories... I'm almost certain I'm nowhere near that.

:cool: @ the website, thank you

6. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

Use common sense. Nobody else can motivate you to really get in shape, you have to have the drive within.

Trust me, been there.

7. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

I have the drive - What I lack is the knowledge.

My wife, who used to be in good shape, but for the past 3 or so years has been in worse physical shape than I is fast approaching the point where she'll be in better shape than I will. I need to get on the ball :o

8. pt

pt New Member

9. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

Sounds good, but why not use the free gym I've got? It's pretty nice :dunno:

10. ND379

ND379 New Member

i think as far as the calorie thing goes...once you become active again, then you will need that many cals...but right now you seem to be pretty sedentary. STart working out! Try as hard as you can to get with the personal trainer. At least it's something. He can set you up on a routine and then you can continue searching around here and picking up info and build up your own routine with what you have.
    Take food with you to work. Pack a cooler the night before. Eat lots of protein..you'll need it when working out. Tuna, chicken, turkey, shrimp, eggs, etc are all great sources of protein.

11. pt

pt New Member

Will you have a spotter ?

12. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

Yeah, a few other employees use it all the time

13. pt

pt New Member

:coold:.... how is your self control.. do you have alot of junk food around the house.. alot of cravings that you can't seem to resist ?

14. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

Not too much junk food around, no cravings really, just hunger in general sometimes.

My wife is 2 months out of gastric bypass surgery, and long before that we were trying to eat healthy food, so there really isn't much junk food around the house at all.

15. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

:cool: I'll start with some of that

16. FredBull

FredBull *******

####___####___####___###_ #_______#__#___#_______#
    take before pics

17. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

good call. i was too embarrassed to do them when i first started and i'm kicking myself now for not doing it

18. ND379

ND379 New Member

I have mine saved on my computer. i still look the same :hs: but they are there in case i ever get dedicated

19. disblohs

do it now :squint:

20. ND379

ND379 New Member

get dedicated? i was just thinking about that. i think i'm gonna go running tonight :wiggle:

21. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

will do :hs:

22. disblohs

yep. good luck :bigthumb:

23. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

set your calories to 11xbw initially, then adjust depending on weight loss.

The first two weeks you'll probably lose a lot of water and then not much. So weight for 3 weeks before adjusting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.