Help me fix this computer!!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kawasakiguy37, Jan 7, 2006.

1. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 New Member

Ok, I cannot get this computer to work.....im upgrading my friends computer with t he following:

512 meg stick of PC 3200 OCZ
    Athlon 64 3000 754 version
    ECS K8m800 m2 motherboard

Other system compenents:

512 meg stick of corsair pc 3200 VS
    60 gig ATA hardrive
    Standard cdrom and floppy
    MSI 9800 Pro

Anything intensive at all makes the computer hang, then go to a blank black screen and totaly hang there. Iwas able to fully install windows XP and get avast and a firewall on there....its newly formatted and has never been connected to the net, no chance of a virus. Ive alreayd tried swapping the memory, and after the reset ive looked at the cpu and overall temperatures and they are very low (doenst sound like its overheating). Also, the heatsinks on the mobo, video card, and cpu never get that hot.....also quite odd. I cant isolate it down to one compenent and Im not sure what to do....Suggestions?

Went to bios and put fail safe defaults, now it crashes still, but restarts now isntead of just hanging....?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2006
  2. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

What happens if you have just 1 stick of ram in there? If you mix different ram it can get flakey.

3. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 New Member

I already tried all ram combos

4. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

it sounds like an overclocking issue but dont think that the system is overclocked, because i assume you would have checked it.

run memtest86 and some other stress testing software and find out if there are any hardware glitched and go from there.

possible look into upping the cpu/ram voltages, but only if you know what you are doing and nothing else turns up anything.

5. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 New Member

Yea, i have everything UNDERCLOCKED

Im gonna up t he voltage to the ram, maybe this mobo has it set low or something for some reason? Who knows

6. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Yeah, I've had a few sticks of RAM in the past that ran better at higher then normal ram voltages, but hey, if it keeps it from having errors, its the way to go.

7. PeacefulAnarchy

PeacefulAnarchy You get one for the money, two for the show, three

Have you checked the CPU temperatures? I've had similar issues before with the Athlon XP T-Bred cores running at 55c+...As well as the Barton cores.

The new Athlon 64's can take heat much better than the XP's, due to the 90nm manufacturing process...But if the temps are 60c+ under idle I'd replace the CPU cooler with a Zalman brand cooler and checking the case fan positionings.

I've had issues where cases needed fans swapped from intake to outake, or vice versa, in order for the machine to run stable. XION cases are a prime example of that - the rear 120mm fan must be set to exhaust...The machine will overheat otherwise.

8. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 New Member

I dont think so anarchy, becuase after it hangs if i check the cpu temp its usualy in the 30's.....which is damn low

9. rpark

rpark New Member

what kind of psu?